The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Those with JDM single bulb clear corners

Do you guy's have parking lights or just directionals with these?????????

H05TYL

parks are in the headlights on facelift JDM galants.

I've converted twin-bulb JDM corners - chipped out the orange insert, this bulb is now the park light - replaced original park light with silver bulb that lights up orange.
Swapped the 2 wires over so the correct bulb lights up at the correct time (both bulbs are same Wattage so no prob).

jepherz

Staff member
If you run the JDM single bulbs as parking lights, they'll melt the plastic and burn out much faster.

H05TYL

Quoting jepherz:
If you run the JDM single bulbs as parking lights, they'll melt the plastic and burn out much faster.

i said JDM twin bulbs, which are park lights to begin with, just swapping which of the two bulbs performs which purpose - they are the same wattage, so no risk of melting anything

jepherz

Staff member
My response was to the OP, since this topic is on the single bulb corners; sorry for the confusion.

evo8ya

I wired mine up to light up as parking lights (just like OE) and just used a 7 watt #89 bulb. They've been working flawless for 3 months.

streetmasters

Great topic! sh*t i hope my lens didn't melt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif...I was wondering the same thing. I like the look of the amber corners being a parking light- I will try led bulbs. what is this #89 bulb??

Is there a way to have this wired up as a parking light AND and turn signal? Maybe running the power wire from the parking light and attach it to the parking wire from the original? Using a Led bulb of course so it wont melt....

evo8ya

The #89 bulbs were used as marker light bulbs in med 80's early 90's toyotas (maybe some other makes too). But I have like 5 boxes of these bulbs. I was looking at the end of them and saw that they were very similar to the 25 watt 1156 (or whatever came in the JDM corners). I looked up the wattage, and saw that they were 2watts higher than what other marker bulbs usally are. So I popped them in and had been working perfectly.

I was thinking about wiring them up to be turn signals too, but just haven't gotten to it yet. It'll be a must with a JDM front bumper.

Last edited:

streetmasters

^^^Nice, I will prob go with the Led set up-

Not to hijack, since i think this also goes along with the theme of this thread- I remember when I had to install some 1157( the 2 filament bulb that flashes and also stays on as a parking light), one of the 2 nubs on the metal part where you have to line up and twist into the connector, had to be grinded off so that it would fit in....this always worked. i will look again at the connector but I am pretty sure that this may work to have turn signals. If anyone has done this, let me know...

14u2nV

img.php

img.php

Here's what I did with LED's, I didn't convert one to turn, but it would be easy to do. You'd just have to break the copper trace, and solder wires at the back bulb.

bustedsm

Mine are setup for blinkers while the parking lights are setup for the JDM headlight city lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eviLntt

Quoting bustedsm:
Mine are setup for blinkers while the parking lights are setup for the JDM headlight city lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

^^^Thats how I have mine.

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting jepherz:

But if you get the bulb that has an 1156 base and a smaller glass section you'll be fine. Mine has been like that for a few years now without a problem. I can't remember the bulb part number though, sorry.

John

streetmasters

^^^yea i actually went to the auto part store looking for led bulbs and I saw the 89's that were mentioned above and they work great....only cost me 2.50 for the pair also!

and yes it does look like the 1156 bottom.

when I get a chance i will experiment with the 1157 bottom shorty bulbs (or any short dual filament bulb) and see if I cant get this thing to blink too!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned