The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RPM's playing games with me.

So I finally got around to installing stainless steel IC piping and a bigger intercooler from the stock stuff. (Thanks to Terry posten for helping me install and Hertz for selling me awesome parts!) Street tuned it, everything seems good. Knock is limited to 2 bars no more. The only boost leak I have is from the throttle body, very small something im going to get to eventually. This is just to give you an idea of whats going on I guess.

About the RPM's: It seems to alternate between bouncing up and down from 1,000-1,200 and other times it wants to sit at 2,000 steady. Drove it for a good 30 minutes and noticed that also while at 2000 rpms the car will continue to cruise without me pressing down on the throttle. (Throttle cable seems to be fine, no slack, not too tight) Also noticed as far as throttle goes, that the Safc tells me its pressed down (occasionally, not all the time)
Even one time I shut the car off and turn its back on and the car immediately rev'd like the throttle was put to the floor, so I immediately shut the car off. Just want to know some thoughts.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Dirty throttle body making it stick? Have you checked it?
TPS might be outta whack.

have you tried checking inside the throttle body not the cable but inside to see if it is sticking at all.....

only thing I could think of.

1990ggsxnj

+1 for sticking throttle. Seems like you may have two issues here. The lurching between 1k and 2k could be from the boost leak or tps. High rev on startup and coasting could be from throttle sticking.

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Dirty throttle body making it stick? Have you checked it?
TPS might be outta whack.

Terry Checked the TPS and things seemed to be okay. I havent checked the inside of the throttle body and should probably clean it. It wouldn't hurt. Where can I get new throttle body shaft seals? How much do they typically run?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dialcaliper

Also, it might be the fast idle air valve (FIAV). Have you noticed if it has anything to do with the coolant temperature being cold or warmed up?

Its nothing to do with the temp, does it no matter what. ^ need question answered above so I can rebuild this thing this weekend Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

The FAIV has been JBwelded completely shut. The ISC paths are still intact.

I need to rebiuld the TB because the shaft seals are trash.

I have a ISC/FAIV blockoff plate that I may try after the seals are replaced.

^Thank you Terry, as im still learning what the heck everything is called lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned