The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Direct drop in Fuel Pump

Hi, I'm new on the board. After searching for the last two days, I could not find a specific high flow fuel pump that will drop in with no modifications. Please let me know of pumps that drop in with no modifications.

Thanks,
Christian

GVR4_1057

There are a lot of pumps that will work well with just cutting off the bell part of the fuel line connector and then using a short piece of fuel injection hose between the pump and sending unit, the wires bolt up,and you hose clamp the pump to the cage. The common upgrades are the Walbro 255 or a stock Supra TT pump.

prove_it

don't forget if you replace the pump you SHOULD replace the fuel regulator with an aftermarket one. The stock regulator has a tendency to not flow enough return which will increase your pressure too much.

Yeah, I know about the walbro and supra pump, but I am looking for a pump that is a direct drop in, dont feel comfortable with cutting the stock barb and just having a piece of fuel line holding it on with no barb.

are any of the evo stock pump a direct plug in and dont require cutting to the fitting.

thanks

Dialcaliper

Both Evo VIII and Evo IX pumps are plug-and-play in with no modifications. The Evo VIII pump will also work fine with the stock FPR. The Evo IX pump will work fine if you *don't* rewire the pump for higher voltage

Last edited:

524of1000

I didnt have to modify anything for my walboro, Just dropped it in, plugged it up and got an Ajustable regulator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Cutting off the flared end on the pump assembly is really not a big deal. The pump on 1051 has been setup like this since '01, and I've never had an issue. I think it's actually better, since it allows you to get rid of the problematic o-ring that resides in the flare.

Yeah but you have no barb to keep that rubber hose from popping off we are dealing with 40psi fuel pressure,

Can anyone confirm that the evo8/9 pumps are a direct replacement.

turbowop

It ain't coming off. The bottom of the pump is against the bracket, and the fuel hose runs from the pump outlet all the way up the metal tubing to the top of the bracket. It hasn't come off on my car and at 30psi boost pressure that's 70psi fuel pressure. Really, trust me, it's NOT a big deal.

just belive mark(turbowop) he knows. his car is badass and is fine so should you.

Just cause it works doesnt mean its the right way to do it, I am not clueless about cars (volvo tech) so I understand why they do not use a fuel fitting like you are suggesting to use.

turbowop

And just because the factory did it doesn't mean there isn't a better way. I don't understand why you're fighting so hard against the this way of installing a pump. It's not hackwork, and it's not going to come off due to there being no barb. Ever. Of all the people on this forum, I am probably one of the most picky, OCD, non-hack members. If the fuel line method was a shitty way of doing it, you wouldn't see it done that way on my car.

All I am looking for is a pump that installs directly into the pump assembly, if someone could just clarify if the evo stock pumps without modifications then this thread will be done.

dmj

2nd turbowop.just cut the barb off nothing is going to happen there is no way the pump is going to fall off. by the way take a look at any subaru wrx or ford mustang fuel pump assembly, the pump is connected by a short piece of hose. Most car companies mount their fuel pump this way.That why Walbro and other pump assemblies include a short piece of hose in their kits.If you feel uncomfortable after cutting off the barb you could put an iso flare on the tube.

Last edited:

brisvr4

I mounted my Walbro using the stock push in fitting.
I don't recall what I had to modify on the bottom of the bracket though... I think I actually left the bottom of the bracket off and just used a large worm drive clamp to hold the pump. It's been like that for 4 years now so I guess it works.

Brianawd

I have done more than my far share of fuel pump installs on dsm's and galants. Both times I used that factory install method and use the little o ring. Guess what It blow out the O ring both times. Never once have I ever had the hose fall off, Blow off or blow apart. The thing is our fuel systems were never designed to see much more than 50psi of fuel pressure. Oh and did I mention I used to be a Mitsu tech and am now a diesel tech. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

turbowop

But it doesn't have a barb!!!!!!!!!11111oneone1on111one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

TakumiJr

I cracked my brand new walbro fuel pump trying to install it like factory with the o-ring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I've installed a denso supra fuel pump without cutting the barb, but using a new o-ring though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts