The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS leak problem...

So as you have all figured out I have purchased Besso's GVR4. I made it home without any major problems and was sure to stop and add more power steering fluid. I have the back end up on stands now and am trying to figure out which line I need to order/replace. The only problem is that I cannot figure out which line is actually leaking. It's definetely coming from the right rear side as that area is just painted with fluid. I started the car up and got the wife to turn the wheel while I was under looking for the leak. At first nothing came out at all and then all of a sudden there was a steady stream of it cascading down. (Yes I know...my knowledge is horrible now, but I am learning fast!) I took all the angle pictures I could, but still can't seem to isolate where it is leaking. If you need any other pictures or want me to video or if I need to remove something to further diagnose please let me know. Any help you guys could lend would be greatly appreciated. Here comes the pics!

14u2nV

There are two rubber lines up on top of the subframe, might check there. Bad thing is that you might have to drop the sub to get to them.

One of those rubber lines has already been replaced maybe 6 months ago. Actually I might have replaced both of them, I don't remember. You don't need to drop the subframe to get at them.

Mase,
Wipe every thing off first. Spray some quick degreaser under there so you can follow where it is coming from

Ok. I think it is the subframe that is blocking my view of the leak. When the wife turned the wheel it all came blobbing/running over the subframe. I will have to do a good wipedown and try to get a better idea. Thanks for the inputs guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got everything dried up and took another peek. Got lots of leaking, but still can't figure out which hose its coming from. Obviously im retarded because I cannot even figure out which lines are 4ws lines...Any chance someone could circle them or point to them on my pics? If I even have them in my pics...LOL

14u2nV

All the lines here are rear steer, aside from the abs wire on either side. Rear steer lines run down the passenger side (4 lines total), gas run down the driver side. The two high pressure lines are the ones at the bottom of the pic, the low pressure lines are the rubber lines that come off the back and to the left, which connect to hardlines behind the wheel-well.

Last edited:

Hmmmm..I might just take you up on that. However, I think I may have decided to just go for the delete at the same time I do a 4 bolt..Now I just have to figure out what cars have the 4 bolt in them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Well since the wife has nixed the immediate purchase of a 4 bolt I am looking into doing the rear delete. I have done lots of searching and read every article I can find on the topic, but I am still a little unsure. I just don't want to mess something up this early in the game. Just to be clear, is it 3 lines or 2 lines total that need to be deleted. In the picture below it looks like there are two lines missing on the right side with caps on them. Is it only those two that need to be capped? I read somewhere that there was a "T" that needed an oil pan bolt too? Any help you can give would surely advance my understanding. If im missing something obvious feel free to call me a tard, but help me while your at it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

img.php

Struc

The two lines you show capped are on the P/S reservoir. Yes, this needs to be done.

There are also 2 high pressure lines, that come off the rack that need to be plugged. You can find which ones by following the lines from the rear of the car to the rack.

That's the part that I get confused on. I know of the two high pressure lines that run to the back. Do you just cut them and put a bolt in each? Before or after the rack? What's this "T" I see people posting about? Thanks!

Struc

That's where you put the oil drain plug. Unscrew the hard line from the rack, and screw in the oil drain plug.

Alright so I think tomorrow morning I am going to remove those two front lines and cap them per the picture. As for the elusive "T", I understand what needs to be done I just cannot seem to find the line that needs the bolt. I have followed lines this way and that to no avail. Do any of the pics show this? Appreciate your patience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

kk Got both of the right lines (shown in picture) capped now. I used silicone vacuum caps. Not sure if they will hold/withstand power steering fluid. Just let me know if I should pick up rubber caps or even do a loop of hose. Still having a hard time finding this T...I think im just getting overwhelmed with all of the lines under there. I should be looking at the rear section right? I keep seeing posts of people referncing deleting at the front rack and others at the rear rack. Is there multiple routes to delete or something? Thanks!

Struc

Search the "how to" section. There are several posts with pictures. To block off, you're doing it at the front rack.

you could remove the rear rack and pump on top of the 3bolt and put a blockoff plate for the pump and block the front and be done.
not sure what lines are still available anyone chime in??

I would like to keep power steering. THat would elimnate it right? I have had a few people tell me to replace with the 1g rack but that kills power steering right? You guys doing any work on the car tonight?

turbowop

The rear rack is only for the rear steering. Removal of it and it's associated parts does not remove power steering to the front wheels. People say to change out to a DSM rack because the DSM rack doesn't have the inputs/outputs for the rear steering lines, which means you don't have to block them off.

Blocking off the lines to a GVR4 rack is much easier than swapping to a DSM rack though, which is what I did.

ya until that bish starts leakin like mine did right after I deleted the 4ws. You might get lucky and your front ps rack will be fine!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts