The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

best ball joints to buy

Hey guys I busted the ball joints on the galant when I was removing the engine, and now they need to replced. Can anyone give me detail on how to get this done? Also I was looking at rock auto and I have the options of just replacing the ball joint or the whole control arm and it comes with the ball joint in it. Any ideas on which one would be the best? click

Last edited by a moderator:

okay so I found the right up that BoostedAWD91 did and still have a few more questions? How long did it take and how hard was it? Also would it be eaiser to just replace the ball joint casue its a lot cheaper?

Last edited by a moderator:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

How long it will take you to change them out will depend on what tools you have, what kind of a jack you got, if the stock ball joints are rusted onto the control arms it can be anywhere from 1/2 hour to a weekend project. If the control arm are not bent or rotted to hell then dont change them.

+1^^ I have had some with a simple rap with a hammer fell out after the nut was removed and I have had others that i beet to death trying to get out.

CarRacer

Don't use a hammer. Rent a ball joint press from Advance Auto.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Oh yea, you want to be nice and delicate on broken/busted/rusty ball joints.
Make sure they look good while they fly into the trash can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Hammer away.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Actually, James has a point.

The area where the ball joint presses in to the arm is not very tall.

It doesn't take much to distort/elongate the the arm, and then the new ball joint will not fit tightly into the arm.

While you can hammer then out if you're carefull, I actually prefer the press method myself.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the pressing out method my self and I'm not suggesting the guy go at it with a 50lbs sledge hammer but it can be tapped with a hammer few times without doing any damage to control arm.

BoostedAWD91

pretty much depends what shape ur control arm is in. I have had a friend who just replaced the ball joint and it u could spin it in a circle with ur hand cause the control was worn out. Yeah replacing the control cost me a alittle more but it was very simple and quick

conquesttsi

Quoting CarRacer:
Don't use a hammer. Rent a ball joint press from Advance Auto.

Just a warning. I recently did this on our talon and it cost us over $100 to rent the tool. Granted we got the money back.

I'd rather just spend the $40 for the tool IMO.
click

Last edited:

thanks for all the replies. Qucik question how hard is it to get the new ball joint in and do I need the press to do it?

Dan D

The press is a good idea for install too. It will help you get it in straight without warping anything or damaging the ball joint. The freezer(ball joint) + torch(control arm) trick can help if also.

Barnes

Quoting PSIRacing:
thanks for all the replies. Qucik question how hard is it to get the new ball joint in and do I need the press to do it?

Just be very careful that you are pressing in the ball joint straight and not crocked! I did this and ruined my control arm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

So I went to pop the ball joint and after I heard the pop I relized that I had broken the cup on the ball joint press and broke the bottem out of the ball joint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif For some reason my ball joint was welded on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Looks like im going to have to buy the whole control arm

Barnes

Welded? Wtf, got any pics? You removed the snap ring right?

No I go to mad after I broke eveything! It has one spot were it has a small weld so everything it was comming out on one side and not the other

mitsuturbo

Time to take a trip to the junkyard, the dealer, or bust out the die grinder with a cutoff wheel. It all depends on budget, i suppose.

My bushings are bad so im just going to get all new contaol arms I might as well at this point

Struc

click

Both front control arms. They aren't super cheap, but in reality, not that bad.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts