The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

786/2000 Build

4thStroke

Back in November of '08 I came across teamhightower's for sale thread. He had 2 Belize green GVR4s, 786 was up for sale. I bought it and started fixing little issues here and there. The car was almost stock, no performance mods, just some AGX struts and slotter/drilled rotors. The clear coats on the trunk, roof, and hood failed, the car originally came from Daytona. I told myself I would build it over the years slowly and that I was going to keep it as a fairly stock dailey driver.

A few months later, I sold my Mazdaspeed3 and started buying parts. It will be my dailey driver, so I figured I better do it right the first time.

Motor and tranny are at English Racing getting rebuilt. Motor will be a Mahle/Eagle build with the FP DSM beehive'd and ported head, Compcam 272s. Tranny is getting a welded center diff, double synchro 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, DSM 1st, along with the regular rebuild basics.

Shortly after I picked it up. Drove from Vancouver, WA to Bellevue (near Seattle), to Post Falls, ID (near Spokane, WA), back home. 2 day trip, around 900 miles. Kind of a brave thing to do. This was taken somewhere in central Washington.

Some of the mess

From the recent group buy

The cockpit

Radio, DSG knob, TEL shifter

For those period correct guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empty bay

Reconditioned wheels, just dirty - pretty happy with the outcome

English and Surgeline, need to get a decal from Jesse. Im going to finish off that hitch with a ball for kicks and giggles

some of the parts that were ripped out. The stock turbo, intercooler, and piping was sold to my cousin, he turbod his jeep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Fuel sytem goodies, and then some. This is an E85 build, 1250cc FICs. inline and intank 255s. Aero AFPR, ect. Rear Whiteline endlinks to compliment the 26mm rear bar. Box of coolant and fuel hoses. All the collant lines are getting replaced.

ETS FMIC

It drove me to drinkin'

Ive been thinkin abnout buying these, but I should spend the money elsewhere - 1991 Advan RRS 15x7. Fresh bronze PC, new stainless hardware. From my understanding, theyre pretty tough to find.

I should be getting the motor, tranny, and turbo back any time. The turbo is just a ported Evo16G, but with the setup, I should be good for 11s. English says he can port the turbo so itll hit 32psi on E85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whiteline 24mm FSB with their endlinks, Lowershores MBC, English racing sleeper style TBE, ACT 2600 steet disc, Forge recirculating BOV, poly rear subframe bushings. Autometer 30hg/in 45psi meter, AEM UEGO, ECMLink, factory replacement radiator, Momo steering wheel, ceramin coated Evo3 o2 housing and 2g manifold, 2g MAF, rewired pump, ETS intake, Prothane motor mount inserts,

Once the car is back on the road, I'll start ordering up ball joints, more bushings, floor mats, headlights (passenger side is chipped), and a few other things to clean it up a little more. Maybe reapaint the trunk, roof, and fix the rust on the hood and repaint it as well.

Big thanks to Jesse at Revolution Motorsport. Hes been great to deal with. English has been good to work with as well. I cant wait to get it on the road and down at the track.

Last edited:

prove_it

I love seeing em all torn apart getting a make over.
What made you choose Mahle pistons?

4thStroke

Originally I was going to use Wiseco, but Lucas couldnt get his hands on any for some time. He likes the Mahles, too and could them easily. From my research, none of the mainstream pistons out there are really a bad choice, so I really didnt care. The Mahles are supposed to be lighter than most out there, so thats a plus.

turbowop

Nice pic of the Columbia River. That's overlooking Vantage, but you blocked the view of the bridge with your car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Nice gauge mount. That's exactly how I did the gauges in 503.

4thStroke

Thats not the Columbia, It was off of 90, just before it darts north for a short while. It was a rest/scenic stop off of I-90, probably not far from you (well, as close as I-90 is to Yakima).

Im not a fan of A-pillar mounts, I had planned on mounting them there from the start. I saw your ski trip thread and saw your gauges mounted there and that set it in stone. I wish there was a nice mount for that spot (nice as in not carbon fiber). Theyre switched at the ignition on source for the hazards, I used the blank plate right next to the rear defrost to mount a rocker style switch, it turned out pretty clean. I dont like bright gauge lights at night.

Just after I posted, I saw the One Lap VR4 has a trailer hitch on it, I laughed, I wasnt trying to copy it, its more like Im too lazy to rip it out (rusted). It kind of adds to the sleeper effect.

Us SW WA/NW OR guys (and anyone else willing to make the drive in the surrounding areas) are going to have to get together at PIR or something this season.

Last edited:

turbowop

Dude, I hate to tell you, but that is the Columbia. In fact, as you drove over the bridge you may have seen a sign telling you so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I know the exact lookout point you stopped at and drive that section of I90 all the time. Hell, I waterskied at Vantage every weekend as a kid.

Last edited:

4thStroke

I see it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didnt realize it was still the Columbia up there. Its the same body I was refering to, I just never think of the Columbia flowing through central WA.

How far is that from your place?

Last edited:

Brianawd

G

Staff member
Looks nice, wa always has clean cars & builds no matter the car or forum. Wa represent!

4thStroke

English is picking up the motor tomorrow for assembly. Im hoping I have it back by the weekend, but Im not counting on it quite yet.

Lucas and Aaron have been great, they ended up charging me less on the tranny than they originally quoted, as well on a few things here and there. Some unexpected things came up (go figure, right?) and even though it had nothing to do with them, they were willing to help me out.

I love the Mitsubishi community. Lots of good vendors and shops and the guys behind the wheel know how to have fun!

Im stoked, Im actually spending less than I had planned on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

4thStroke

Got it running today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have about 10-15 miles on it and its pretty solid. I cant believe the difference the swaybars, endlinks, rear steer delete, and rack bushing made! Seriously, it handles so much better now.

The Prothanes sure send a lot of vibration through the cab. Do these break in a little and soften up? I really dont care much, just curious.

The JNZ Tuning GVR4 short shifter/2g knob was money well spent. I like it way better than the 1g lever/DSG knob.

Hopefully it'll be ready for more boost and tuning before the week comes to an end.

Last edited:

524of1000

Great Job! I like those bronze wheels, they would look awesome on 524 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

4thStroke

If you want them I can let the guy know. He told me $650 for them. Fresh PC and new stainless hardware. Theyre pretty sweet wheels.

I think I'll be going with something larger when funds allow. My account is pretty dry right now.

Quoting 4thStroke:
If you want them I can let the guy know. He told me $650 for them. Fresh PC and new stainless hardware. Theyre pretty sweet wheels.

I think I'll be going with something larger when funds allow. My account is pretty dry right now.

You get those from Dustin?

4thStroke

Paul, I need to get some miles on it, so I might give you a call and stop by today.

1457, those are Dustins, I believe he still has them. Thats his photo from northwestnissans, there werent any hits on them over there and I think thats the only place he had them listed. I like the wheels, I just wish they were a little bigger.

4thStroke

I met up with Lucas tonight and got a little better tune on it. No more breaking up and it pulls cleanly. Just off the wastegate, it pulls pretty well. I wasnt expecting that much for such a mild tune and only 10-12psi.

Something weird happened, though. After the car was tuned, I drove 10 miles or so, shut it off and it sat for 20 minutes or so. When I got back in, the tune was reset to the previous tune and it was back to the 4k breaking up nonsense. This was with ECMLink. Anyone else experience something like this. Called Lucas, met back up with him, and he cleaned it back up. Its been fine after a few key cycles so far. Lucas continues to impress me.

125 miles and counting,

Last edited:

Quoting 4thStroke:
Paul, I need to get some miles on it, so I might give you a call and stop by today.

1457, those are Dustins, I believe he still has them. Thats his photo from northwestnissans, there werent any hits on them over there and I think thats the only place he had them listed. I like the wheels, I just wish they were a little bigger.

Dustin spent a sh*t-load of money on those wheels. Re-powder coat, polish and all new hardware. I'd try and pick those up if I was you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts