The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Info Needed

The alternator on 1899 needs to be replaced. What alternators have others here used and gotten good results from? I've heard that off-the-shelf products from Autozone/Advance/Checkers aren't very good - anyone have any thoughts? Lastly, how does one even get the alternator out? Is there a guide somewhere? I've checked and can't find one. A walkthrough would be nice. Thanks for your time.

G

Staff member
I would buy a bosch, has the best warranty. Also Denso are very good.

mikus

Cano Electric out of Chicago for my last 2. There's a coupon on their site last time I bought.

Nartanian

I'm using a 90amp NSA alternator. Works like a charm so far and come with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

Thanks guys. I wound up getting the NSA 90 amp. After a half hour of searching, it was the only one I could find.

So, is there a walkthrough somewhere? I imagine there's GOTTA be one somewhere on this site as it's such a common replacement item. I gotta get goign to class now, but I'll look again later for one if no one knows off hand where one's located. Thanks again guys.

Hertz

Staff member
Yeah, pretty sure there is something in the howto/archive.

My favorite method, maybe not the cleanest or fastest, is to drain the coolant, pull the radiator and fish it out from in front of the exhaust manifold.

Haha yeah, that would definitely work. I just don't think I have the tools or the know-how to drain all the coolant and do something like that. If no one else has any ideas, I might have to try that though. But, anyone else do it a different way?

G

Staff member

mikus

read up on teh site's search function, use a + in front of every term and you'll find how to content. Not trying to be dickly - just making sure you knew this. teh board helps those who help themselves

My method is to
- disconnect PS pump from bracket, move out of way
- disconnect radiator top mounts and shimmy to the left
- undo the alternator (you have to access a long pin bolt at bottom of it, access is through wheelwell, easy to remove the well cover)
- bring it up through the path freed up by PS pump & radiator, to remove. You will think this is impossible for about 10 minutes before you figure the right position/path.

Thanks man. I definitely had no idea about the "+" being needed.

As for your way, does the PS pump need to be removed completely, or just undone from the bracket? Other than that, when moving the radiator to the left, will any of the pipes/hoses need to be undone, or should the whole thing move freely? Sorry, it's hard for me to check on this myself, as it's parked at my parents house and I live a two hour drive away for school.

raptorWagon

remove the ps pump, it will give you more room to work with. I carefully played a game of 4g63 tetris and got it out.

mikus

no radiator hoses, just the unit...

ps pump for sure, bracket....maybe. try w/ just the pump.

Nartanian

+1 Its a pain! I had to disconnect my IC piping. Thank God that they were the stock piping.

G

Staff member
Don't disconnect the ps lines. Just unbolt the ps pump & move it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Disconnect the battery ground before getting too serious about removing the alternator.

Saves on fuses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the help you guys. I'll be sure to follow all this advice as soon as I get back to my 'rents place on Friday. The alternator should be there by then. Anyone mind if I message them on here for advice if I run into some snags?

91GSR

Quoting raptorreed:
remove the ps pump, it will give you more room to work with. I carefully played a game of 4g63 tetris and got it out.

tetris lol...most things ive come across in the stock engine bay you have to paly a little to get it in our out. when i did the belt i had to raise and lower my car on a lift like 5 times in 15 minutes just to get one belt off. but hey, if it wasnt so much work it wouldnt be as fun right?

Quote:
My method is to
- disconnect PS pump from bracket, move out of way
- disconnect radiator top mounts and shimmy to the left
- undo the alternator (you have to access a long pin bolt at bottom of it, access is through wheelwell, easy to remove the well cover)
- bring it up through the path freed up by PS pump & radiator, to remove. You will think this is impossible for about 10 minutes before you figure the right position/path.

Tried to do it this way, but the bolts holding the plate where the battery sits have rusted completely through and could not be removed. Without the plate being removed, the radiator cannot be shimmied to the left.

The current plan of action now is to drain and remove the radiator in order to do it - and I am relatively certain that the P/S pump does not have to be unbolted from the bracket and moved out of the way at that point. But, we ran out of time this weekend, and I'm back in school two hours away. So, gotta wait until next weekend.

So, questions: how much coolant is going to drain from the radiator? I need to make sure I have a large enough basin for it. And I have now ordered the complete DSM guides on CD from Forced Performance.

solidviper89

Have you tried to pb blaster it? It should break free eventually. I took my radiator out completely because I am an idiot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just do like these guys tell you, unbolt the ps and move radiator and you should have enough room.

I didn't use PB blaster this time mainly because I figured it'd be pointless to do use it then leave for the week. Doesn't it work best when used then tap the bolt and repeat over and over during a couple days? That's the old wives tale I've heard - PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts