The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dipstick?

Gimpin

if you have a good catch can to eliminate the pcv valve you dont really need one

slugsgomoo

the plastic tops break off, but it's nice that they don't burn you like the metal ones.

if you're popping it out, just crimp it a LITTLE bit with pliers and it won't pop out anymore. Alternatively, you can put a little bit of hose & hose clamp around the tube, and then just zip tie the dipstick to the hose clamp. I've seen a lot of the fast race cars doing that since even with good compression & ventilation stuff going on 40+ psi tend to do wicked things.

belize1334

I just used a small hose clamp and added a spring to mine similar to what's pictured. Works flawlessly.

fivestardsm

I use a piece of rubber hose about 2 inches long. It fits snugly over the tube, and tightly to the dipstick. That way when you take the dipstick out, it stays on it.

Last edited:

GIjoe

I have the same problem! thanks for posting this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

punisher

Quoting icurunnin:
Or just by a oem one for $12 and delete the PCV and run a catch can.

+1, Damnit people! If you'd just replace it once every 15 years when the old rubber gets hard with a new oem one, the problem goes away. Putting a spring on there is retarded.

slugsgomoo

One of the local guys had a fire at the track from popping a brand new dipstick last summer. New motor w/ good sealing, dual -10 vents off the valve cover...

Like I said, it doesn't really matter, at huge boost/big power, tying it down makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A new dipstick definitely wouldn't hurt, but aren't they all plastic handled now?

punisher

Nope, 1g/gvr4 ones are metal handled. The 2g ones are plastic. Both were still available a year ago when I last ordered one.

BadVr4

Quoting punisher:
Quoting icurunnin:
Or just by a oem one for $12 and delete the PCV and run a catch can.

+1, Damnit people! If you'd just replace it once every 15 years when the old rubber gets hard with a new oem one, the problem goes away. Putting a spring on there is retarded.

no its not.. a new dipstick isn't going to fix it everytime. if your car is making good power, you can still blow out a brand new dipsick. its better than clamping the tube.

In relation to the dipstick, I removed the housing the other day and I went to try and pry the rubber/plastic o ring off to replace it and I broke the ring.

Can I just pick one up at the hardware store? Are they rubber? I just want to make sure that the seal is tight and that the new o ring I use won't melt due to heat.

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Alternatively, you can put a little bit of hose & hose clamp around the tube, and then just zip tie the dipstick to the hose clamp. I've seen a lot of the fast race cars doing that since even with good compression & ventilation stuff going on 40+ psi tend to do wicked things.

This is a good idea. I already use the hose clamps and zip ties but had trouble always keeping the clamps from sliding down the tube. Never thought of using hose as well, that would prevent it from sliding. Good idea. I am waiting on my new dipstick from JNZ and I will be happier with the plastic one, easier to grab.

When i swapped my dipstick and tube over i just used a regular o-ring out of a kit i had works fine. thats not a big deal for that you usualy only use special ones for fuel.

boostin4door

Quoting belize1334:
I just used a small hose clamp and added a spring to mine similar to what's pictured. Works flawlessly.

Thats what I did & it works great for no $$$.
I also put a piece of vacuum hose on the dipstick so it won't be hot to the touch.
jfyi:
click

Last edited:

castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

lol! i think that is just a band aid for the problem and would go after seting up a nice breather box or fixing your pcv. With a good breather box or working pcv, you will not have the problem witht he dip stick blowing out.

prove_it

Yep the debate goes on. Some say it's pointless, some say its needed. It's a proven fact that the internal design of the 4G63 causes excess crank pressure. Ask anyone who has built a high horse 4G and even with huge vents it will still pop.

In my own opinion, some engines will pop it when some won't. If you need to hold it down, just do it. If you don't, you don't. Just don't tell everyone you don't need it with a built engine, cause it's really a case by case kinda thing.

Mark

I always have this problem. New dipsticks, old ones. I did the hose clamp and zip tie got burned by the header..

Now i just fill he hole with jb weld problem went away.. Who needs to check their oil.

In all seriousness I just did the zip tie and clamp and it works best for me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts