The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Project 1387 has begun!!

fivestardsm

I bought this car out of Kentuky about 2-3 months ago while I was working in Illinois and living in a hotel. When I got the car, it wasnt running because of a poor t-belt job. After digging into it and pulling the head off and all, I checked the oil pump, and it didn't want to turn.. So I put the project on hold until I got home. Well I have been laid-off for a month now, and I figure that it is time!!

Although I was planning on keeping this pretty much bone stock because it is an un-molested body. But after a 2 hour inspection of all that I could see, I had to crawl out from under it and re-think. I know that bushings are good to be replaced, but I think its gonna have to be sooner than I had expected. They are all SHOT!!

Then to top it off, the 4WS is leaking (just like all the rest) But I want to keep it.

The guy that I got it from unhooked the driveline to dolly it, and bent the hell out of the drive shaft.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Who ever had this when it was drivable, must not have been able to judge the distance from the curb.. The uni-rails are squashed!!

Oh and when you lose the original bolts... improvise!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Sadly, I can guarantee there will be more disapointments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but do you want to take on such a project while you're laid off?

fivestardsm

I have to. Because as soon as I get it done, I need to finish #27

And then I need to finish My GSX.
I havent been home enough for the last 2 years to do any of them.

BoostedAWD91

yeah u definatly have alot of work to do!! Good luck and im glad ur fixing it up instead of it being junked

Struc

I posted this on my local widsm.org board, but it probably belongs here too.

Quote:
Title: Venting: Stupid people shouldn't own/modify DSM's / GVR4's.
I'm going to start this thread to vent about all the stupidity that is continually apparent in the modifications done to the GVR4 I purchased about 45 days ago. I've never really worked on a car that somebody else has modified, and am finding it continously frustrating, dealing with such stupidity.

Just off the top of my head:

1) The biggest issue I suppose, was that the moron used some kind of high pressure regulator as a boost controller. It's like a air compressor regulator. It's meant to take up to 300psi in, and regulate it down to 5-100psi. Here is a link to one: Ebay Link. Well, it didn't work, or didn't work correctly - not sure which, because as you all know, the car now has a blown head gasket.

2) The stock ECU's caps went bad, and he replaced the ECU with a 90 model, and thus, the car never got an airflow signal.

3) Working on the car today, I went to drain the tranny, so I can get everything pulled, and found an amount of oil in it that could be measured in tablespoons on one hand. That's besides the fact the engine had only about 2qts of oil in it when I got it.

4) Battery relocation to the trunk was done by running 1/0 welding cable along the OUTSIDE bottom of the car.

5) Fuel pressure gauge that was installed probably never worked, because it's a single wire sensor that requires a good ground, and there was no ground on the FPR where the sensor was mounted. Thus, the base fuel pressure was set to 85psi.

6) Upper timing cover missing, plug wire cover missing. Wires not clipped into holders, so the plug wires were rubbing up against the timing belt, wearing off insulation.

7) Power for gauges twisted together behind radio area, and left sitting Bare.

8) Wire for A/F Gauge signal just left bare wrapped around some connector near the ECU / Relay.

9) Stock coolant temp gauge in the instrument cluster must have gone bad, so instead of adding a aftermarket coolant temp gauge in a logical spot, he PUSHED the two mounting studs on the back of the gauge THROUGH the clear plastic cover on the gauge cluster (busting and cracking it), and wired it in there.

10)While trying to figure out why fuel spilled out when filling it, I pulled the access panel to the fuel pump in the trunk, and found gobs and gobs of silicone *Trying* to seal up around the pump assembly. Looks like a couple of the studs broke off when he was replacing the pump, and that was the best he could do. Ugh.

I'm sure there's more, and I'm sure I'll find more.

fivestardsm

^^^ I have had way worse then the one described in the WIDSM post.^^
When you tear one apart and find parts modified from a probe to make it work, you know that you helped out a crack addict get his next fix.

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
yeah u definatly have alot of work to do!! Good luck and im glad ur fixing it up instead of it being junked

Yeah iam also thinking of making arrangements to "save" another one also. I m gonna have a VR4 rescue going...wait I already do.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Well I see that Its time to revise the thread since I already started it...

The motor is built and installed. It has a pretty mild build on it. All I had done was the machine work to the block for the decking, and had it punched to .020 over with a set of stock replacement pistons. I did some mild porting work on the head and threw in a set of "Street Grind" Web cams. I also upgraded the valve springs to a set of EVO 8 springs and retainers, and put in a set of 3mm 3g lifters.

I haven't been able to fire it yet, but i hope I did all my calculatiopns correctly on the Arospeed Adj. camgears I installed. Other than that there is a full 3" SS exhaust I built starting off from a Megan D.P. which is hooked up to a S.S. tubular o2 housing. And I am working on the I/C pipeing now. They will be built out of 2 1/2" stainless.

I think that pretty much sums up what it is so far, hopefully in the next week or so, I'll have it out of the JSBc.
I sholud point out, that I suck at documenting things with pictures.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Wow.. I really suck at keeping stuff updated.

Well, i've got it 95% complete. I just need to tie up a few lose ends like my guages and a few minor tweaks.
Here are a few pictures that show the progress through the last 4 months or so. Granted, some of you might have already seen a few of these in some of my "help" post.
Anyway, here they are..

id=93842&width=400">

Looks like the build is coming along nicely, Keep up the good work.. The SS exhasut looks REALLY NICE!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned