The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stupid newbie question about the clutch pedal

Ok, I just want to make absolutely sure I'm ordering the right parts before I do ahead and click "Buy", and I'm not sure if 1G DSMs and the VR-4 use the same clutch pedal assembly.
Can anyone confirm if these are the same part #'s for the VR-4?

Clutch Pedal Lever: MB599879
Clutch Pedal Assembly: MB599233

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, getting that assembly out was a huge PITA, took me almost 2 hours, with a couple of smoke breaks in the middle of it.

I figure I'll get them both done at once, better safe than sorry. Again, I jsut want to make sure these are the correct part #, can anyone confirm it?

According to my CAPS the correct parts for a VR4 are:

MB599203 pedal, clutch
MB844603 lever, clutch fluid

The numbers you have are for an Eclipse.

Also, while you have it all apart, you may also want to replace the bushings:

MB534211
MB534210 x2
MB058634

Or Shep sells brass clutch pedal bushings for $35.
www.sheptrans.com

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
I would send it in here: click

I would like to confirm that the Eclipse and GVR4 do indeed use different clutch pedal assemblies and are not compatible. On a side note, would anyone like to buy an Eclipse clutch pedal assembly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

CAPS shows different part numbers and they look a bit different in the diagrams too. That's as much as I can confirm.

BoostedAWD91

i am getting this popping noise everytime i push my clutch pedal in. i tried to look exactly what was causing it but its kinda hard to lay under the dash and push the pedal in at the same time. Any ideas what this would be and any fixes?

Gary_Chiu

The 1g DSM clutch pedal will bolt onto the GVR4 assembly. The only differences are the tabs for the clutch switches. Using the 1g pedal in the GVR4 assembly will allow for additional 1/4 to 1/2 in. of throw.

The clutch lever for a 1g DSM is shorter than the GVR4 clutch lever and therefore cannot be used in a GVR4.

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
i am getting this popping noise everytime i push my clutch pedal in. i tried to look exactly what was causing it but its kinda hard to lay under the dash and push the pedal in at the same time. Any ideas what this would be and any fixes?

I had the same issue in my car. In my case, the bracket that bolts to the clutch master cylinder sheared off. The symptoms began as a popping sound everytime I pushed the clutch in and eventually worsened to a creaking sound. I attached a picture of the bracket and drew some red lines to show where it sheared off.

Last edited:

Also i ordered a clutch pedal rebuild kit from JNZ tuning, for a 1g, it was pretty much a night mare trying to put parts together to make the clutch pedal work, the galant spring and the 1g are way different.

Jesse

BoostedAWD91

Quoting G:
I would send it in here: click

im guessing u can't use the complete 1G clutch pedal assembly shep sells in the gvr4?

They're not available as a complete assembly, you can only buy individual pieces.

Gary_Chiu

Plus they are NLA from the dealer anymore. Only the bushings and master cylinder lever were available last time I checked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I actually ordered all the stuff I needed from the stealership, new clutch pedal is much better. The old one had been welded incorrectly, still had over 2" of play, and was messed up all kinds of ways. The new one is awesome.

G

Staff member
Any pics of the old parts vs the new?

No pics of the new stuff uninstalled, but I can snap some of the old garbage if you want.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned