The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking into a VR4

I'm probably going to be buyign a 91 VR4 but it will not be for a few months, and I just want to know what I am getting into. I don't know how many miles it has on it, but I do know it needs a new turbo, blow off valve, and new tires. Also, the sunroof works but if you open it and reclose it, it will leak. It is also missing the plaque that says XXX/2000. Is there any way to get a new one of those? What would be a good replacement turbo that would provide adequate power while also being cost effective. Same goes for the blow off valve. The car has been sitting for roughly 2 years so I expect other little things to be wrong with it as well. Thanks in advance for all your input.

steve

How much? If you have the VIN we could possibly find out the badge # if the car had been registered with us previously. Doesn't sound too likely though. As for a replacement badge, check the FS section, someone is making aluminum and brass replicas which is really nice.

ktmrider

Sounds like a potential nightmare in the making. These cars can be cantakerous in the best condition and the one you are looking at seems far from that. Post up the VIN to iceman, maybe he/we can find out more about the car history.
Another thing, if it ain't posted on this site I would wonder why.
Other items, no the "original" badges are not available. There is a member here making replica badges tho.
I would not even think about bigger/alternative turbos until the car was running properly first. No need to dump tons of cash into a car that won't run in the end.
Last, if you are not at least familiar and/or handy with the 1g TEL's the GVR4 is gonna make life interesting.

I can pick it up for 300$ from my brother. He has had it for a few years and has lost interest. I'm not really familiar with turbocharged cars. I am very willing to learn more about them though. I do not doubt that I can get the car to run, I am just looking for advice on a replacment turbo once I get it running.

GVR4_1057

a 16G is a very good better that stock replacement. Probably your cheapest option too.

GVR4_1057

It depends upon how big you go. A 16G at boost levels under 15 psi or so should not need and other modifications.

Hertz

Staff member
$300? He's ripping you off. I'll buy it for $200 right now though if he needs cash right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Was this owned by an asian guy there in rockford? I used to know a gvr4 owner there.

My brother bought it in Indiana about 3 yrs ago. Is 300$ really too much for it tho?

GVR4_1057

That would be a joke right there. But I will go $250.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm getting this VR-4 on Saturday but I won't be starting on it until I get my other car running. Hopefully you guys don't mind questions because I'm probably going to have some.

Struc

I'm in Rockford for work a few times a month. I'd be happy to swing by sometime and offer my $.02 on anything you have questions about.

Thanks for the offer Struc, I will definately keep that in mind. Like I said though, I probably won't start working on it until April or May.

bmxkid415

Quoting yaretheytaken:
I'm getting this VR-4 on Saturday but I won't be starting on it until I get my other car running. Hopefully you guys don't mind questions because I'm probably going to have some.

I'm not as active as some members on this forum, But its the first place I go for any information regarding my GVR4. I skip the DSM forum and head right here. This a great forum with more information than you can think of.

Sounds like a great deal! But, when was the last time the timing belt was done? Probably the #1 reason for the demise of a 4G63T is from people ignoring the 60,000 mile timing belt change, or having someone unfamiliar with them doing the job incorrectly. The 4G63 is an interference type motor, so be sure to check this out thoroughly. Also, check out the #1 Newbie post. The ECU's in all 1990-93 Mitsubishi's have bad caps, leaking acid all over the board. Pull the ECU and see if they have been replaced.

Quoting yaretheytaken:

Use the Search function because everything that you want to know will be answered for you, and i mean EVERYTHING. Make sure you have a good setup of tools, the galant vr4 manual or some sort of dsm 4g63 cd rom etc, big bottle of asprin and a lot of patience. Dont think about major upgrades until you get all of the regular up keep done by you with all new OEM parts ie timing belt, water pump etc. You cant trust the previous seller saying they did it 10k ago when it probbly was never done and the car is clocking over 100k and then have it snap on your ride home. Good luck and dont forget to search search search!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts