The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stock timing degree

tintoy

what is the appropreate timimg degree for a stock vr4 engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tintoy

can i advance it into 15* with out hearting my engine, so that the engine will be responsive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

No. There is some other problem if you car is set at 5* BTDC base and it has no response/power. Check your turbo, compression, and do a boost leak test.

tintoy

i upgrade some mods, like 3" down pipe, 2.5 upper i/c pipe, ported exhouse, compressor, turbine and O2 housing. and also a safc, msd spark plug wire and a hks 1st gen air filter, manual boost controler. can you suggest a good timing degree for may car? pls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GVR4_1057

There is no reason to advance it past 5 degrees.You should check your knock sensor to be sure that the goo is not leaking out of it. This will cause the ECU to pull timing out. Are you able to datalog your car to see the problem.

Quoting tintoy:
can i advance it into 15* with out hearting my engine, so that the engine will be responsive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The factory timing maps are already very aggressive. So, the only way you would be able to advance it even further would be if you are running racegas. Running more than 5* base timing advance with pumpgas just causes tons of knock, the ECU pulls timing, and the car will fall flat on its face everytime you start boosting. You should NEVER advance the timing without logging knocksum. Eventually, the ECU learns how much knock you have, and calculates new timing values, so you are back where you started. But, why risk engine damage in the meantime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

tintoy

i dont have a data logger. i will check fog any leaks and also look at my knock sensor. rigth know im running my car at 25*, i guest that is not good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. i will put my timing at 5* tbc?

25* base timing will DESTROY your motor. You will be picking up pieces of the pistons and valves on the road, as your engine detonates itself to death! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

tintoy

thanks alot, ill just stick to 5*. i just post my car. take a look and tell me what you think. many thanks!

tintoy

one more thing, can i adjust the camtrigger to advance my timing or not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned