The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vent Temps

BoostedAWD91

Well now that its getting cold again, i again see how crappy my heating seems to be. It doesnt blow out real hot or barely seems to blow much heat out at all till its up to the 3-4 level. I have replaced the heater core recently, figured it was the problem and that made no difference. What is everonce's vent temps at the at operating temperature?

Last edited:

pachood_1953

I havent checked my temps, but my heat gets REALLY warm. But I also rarely run my fans when its cold unless Im doing some serious beatings.

I will stick a thermometer in my vents this weekend if I remember.

Is your blower motor working properly?
You may have a plugged line or something. I have seen heater core lines so plugged up they werent flowing.

steve

is the coolant getting up to temp? Tstat stuck open?

the cable might be worn out that goes to the cold / hot selector on the heater core box. it seems like it might not be pushing it far enough to the hot side.

Dialcaliper

Check the cables and regrease the linkages with lithium grease, to make sure your coolant is getting up to temperature, and if all else fails, flush your radiator (especially important is the part where you run the engine with the heater on full blast between flushings)

I think it is under the glove box if not behind the center console to access it. It is a little arm that that moves a flap inside the box that im pretty sure of.

sixsixtwo

haha my girlfriend says that the heat is the only thing she likes about my galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

BoostedAWD91

I have flushed my coolant numerous times, blew out the heater core w/ air to make sure nothing was clogged, coolant is getting up to temp and the levers are all working fine. It just doesnt blow out hot hot air like it know it should. I mean after having the heat cranked for like 25 minutes it starts to get warm in the car but the heat coming out is just warm. Every other galant i have been in, if u stick ur hand on the vent and blast the heat,after alittle bit u need to take ur hand off cause its starts to burn.
i have checked the resistor, thats fine, the blower motor may not be blowing as hard as it should be but that shouldnt really have anything to do with vent temps.
I dont know what else to try

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting steveVR4:
is the coolant getting up to temp? Tstat stuck open?

+1

Just because the POS stock gauge is near the middle doesn't mean the temps are where they should be.

John

steve

Check on a logger.

supersp0rt2

Try to pressure test your radiator cap if its worn out it may not hold the pressure you need to properly heat your coolant, as wierd as that may sound.Your thermostat only determines the minimum amount of heat your engine can produce so if your radiator cap isnt holding proper pressure it can over cool your coolant. Also be sure to use distilled water when adding your 50/50 mixture to antifreeze as scale could build up from tap water contaminants and clog/insulate parts of your cooling system. Best of luck.

BoostedAWD91

the coolant is getting up 2 temp. this has been a problem ever since i bought the car over a year and half ago. even instances where the car was overheating and blasting the heat to get the temps down it wasnt real hot

atc250r

Staff member
If that's the case then you've got either an air pocket in the heater core, a restriction in the core, a pump problem, or a damper door that isn't moving as much as it should. I would have someone turn the hot/cold knob while I looked under the dash, find which cable it is, have the helper move it to full hot, disconnect the cable, and see if I could move it further in that direction.

John

The last time I measured the heat output at the vents with a pyrometer it got up to over 140*F before I got too hot and stopped the test. If the heater core was getting full coolant flow and heat, but not getting enough airflow across it, wouldn't you smell hot plastic after a while?

ktmrider

^^ I can't comment directly on the GVR4 but most of the other vehicles use a flap that diverts air across the core when you goto the "Hot" position and ( obviously ) around it when on cold. Basically there is always coolant flowing thru the core but the air from the blower only gets warm/hot when you engage the lever.
Since there is a blend option ( somewhere in between ) I would guess like John the flap is not diverting the air properly. Like he mentioned watch the cable, disconnect, then see if it will move more/less manually.
I had a car that somehow ingested a shopping list into the vent ( no joke ) that prevented the blend flap from closing all the way. Lovely experience during the summer....

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

Can anyone check or know what their vent temps are with the heat on full blast. I have been trying to figure out my heating issue on and off since i got the car. Starting looking into it again recently, i have flushed the cooling system, replaced my 180 degree thermostat with a 195 degree from advanced to test out, sealed off my evap box under the dash. The heater core and all controls have been replaced from a friends vr4 with excellent working heat. As of right now the hottest my vent temps will go is 88 degrees.

G

Staff member
Should be hot enough to make you move your hand from the vent. How old is your radiator?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts