The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vr4 just cut out on me tonight, MPI fuse keeps blowing.

I was getting on the gas on a back road on my way home then all of the sudden my car just stalled out and wouldn't start. It was pitch black out there (rural) I had to use my cell phone to check it out. The MPI fusible link was blown, so I got some one to pick me up and we went and got one. It's still not wanting to start for me, I was sure that was the only problem but I dont know now. Anyone had this happen? I had to leave the car on the side of the road, but I'm going out tomorrow to try and get it running if not. I'm going to get it towed back to my house. Is there something I need to do to get the injectors primed or something? Any other things I should check? Any input on this would be really appreciated. The engine cranks like it should its just not starting.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

Check for spark, check for fuel, have the caps been replaced in the ECU?

Yeah caps have been replaced. Yeah i'll check for spark but whats a good way to make sure its getting fuel?

after you crank it a few time, pull a spark plug... Should reak like gas, if it is present in the cylander

Something is shorting the hell out of the MPI fuse. I checked it today and the 20amp I replaced was blown. I tried a 30 and a 40 just to get it the ten miles it takes to get back to my house and both of those blew right away. Something is definitely metal on metal but I don't have a clue where it would be, I am going to check some of the connections by the ignition one of which I tapped off of for my headunit. Maybe thats the culprit. This sucks it looks like I am going to have to get it towed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyone know of anything else tied into that circuit that I can check for shorts? I'm going to have try and find a wiring diagram.

14u2nV

You can tap a hot wire to your fuel pump to get it home. I don't even use the MPI anymore, I have my pump wired to "on with ignition" through a relay, with a shutoff button hidden.

BoostedAWD91

check the o2 sensor harness where it plugs in to make sure there is no open wires. This is a cause of blowing MPI fuses

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^Good call

The hot wire grounds against the frayed ends of shield wire, and poof goes the fuse.

I would NOT put a bigger fuse in that circuit, lest you want to let the magic smoke out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Yeah the fuse blows as soon as i turn it over so I assuming its igntion related. Still trying to find the culprit nothing exposed on the 02 sensor harness. I also checked the ignition lead I used for my head unit and nothing looks like its shorting there either. I don't know a whole lot about the MPI system and what all is on that circuit to start probing around with the multimeter. If anyone knows of some place I could find gvr4 or dsm wiring diagrams pertaining to this please let me know. Thanks guys. I love electrical problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BoostedAWD91

well it could be anything to do with the fuel injection circuit so check the CAS wiring, o2 sensor wiring and harness very closely even the smallest exposure of wires will do it, fuel pump wiring?

CAS and O2 sensor harnesses all look kosher. I guess I am going to have to check out the fuel pump next.

The only wiring I've seen that looked shotty to me under the hood is for the coolant temp sensor both wires were exposed by the harness so I wrapped them real well with electrical tape. I know this is tied into the MFI system I'm not sure if it would be enough to blow the fuse. I only have one of these 3 dollar fuses left and i don't want to blow it. Is there a good way to test with a multimeter to make sure I'm getting the right current?

Alright, i fixed up some wiring and the car starts and runs great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I am hearing a strange electronic clicking noise coming from the area where the ecu and MFI relay are. I checked the MFI relay out of the car with jumper wires like it shows in the manual and it tested out fine. But it does sound kind of like relays clicking real fast all most a buzzing sound, could this be the ecu? I just had it capped and looked over by Terry so I'm really thinking its not the source. I dunno maybe i'm just being paranoiod because my car just randomly died and wouldn't start the other day when it was running great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

JNR

I had a weird clicking noise when my ground circuit got damaged (in the ECU), after my MAS mishap....Thanks to Jeff (keydiver), I made a temporary jumper [see pic] and Terry later fixed it...Not sure if this is the problem, but they'd be better to tell you:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts