The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel offset???

Brunoboy

I was searching and I still Don't know what it means, I just want to know what wheel offset is. Does suspension have anything to do with what we can run? If so, I have AGX with HnR lowering springs. I want new rims, But I don't know what offset is good. I want a set of 17X7 or 17x7.5 . So can anyone answer my question? Thanks
-Shane

Dialcaliper

If you think of a wheel looking from the front/rear of the car, imagine the flat face where the center mounts to the hub and lugs. If that face is exactly centered between the bead on the rim (or think sidewalls if that's easier), that's zero offset.

Negative offset is the distance (in mm) that the mounting face is moved toward the inside of the wheel (wheelwell). this has the effect of making the rim and tire stick out farther from the car. Positive offset is where the mounting face is moved towards the outside edge of the rim. This has the effect of "tucking" the wheel in the wheelwell.

rim-offset-image.gif

For the most part, the offset required has more to do with the width of tire you will be running than the rim width (except where you put a narrow tire on a wide rim, or start running into control arm clearance problems), but people typically pick offsets based on the rim width, which works fine most of the time, but the numbers people will quote are not always consistent, especially since not all tires of the same size have the same maximum section width. (usually it works out around widest tire you'd run on that rim).

Look here: How-to Section

For your size I'm guessing you probably want something around 38-40mm (positive) offset.

Edit: Whoops, flipped a sign by mistake.

Here's another picture.

windowslivewriterwheelcustomization-bc60customwheels-graph11.gif

Last edited:

i have the same dilemma i have been looking for rims for mine.. there 17-7 currently but are curbed have been looking for rims for the last few weeks...looking for something lightweight but its been hard since nobody makes 4lug rims..

H05TYL

Quoting Dialcaliper:
If you think of a wheel looking from the front/rear of the car, imagine the flat face where the center mounts to the hub and lugs. If that face is exactly centered between the bead on the rim (or think sidewalls if that's easier), that's zero offset.

Positive offset is the distance (in mm) that the mounting face is moved toward the inside of the wheel (wheelwell). this has the effect of making the rim and tire stick out farther from the car (you could say it "offsets it"). Negative offset is where the mounting face is moved towards the outside edge of the rim. This has the effect of "tucking" the wheel in the wheelwell.

rim-offset-image.gif

For the most part, the offset required has more to do with the width of tire you will be running than the rim width (except where you put a narrow tire on a wide rim, or start running into control arm clearance problems), but people typically pick offsets based on the rim width, which works fine most of the time, but the numbers people will quote are not always consistent, especially since not all tires of the same size have the same maximum section width. (usually it works out around widest tire you'd run on that rim).

For your size I'm guessing you probably want something around 38-40mm (negative) offset

Well said, except you've got your positive and negatives mixed up.

If you measure from the centre line of the wheel a negative number brings the mounting face inwards (towards the car, makes the wheels stick out) and a positive number moves the mounting face outwards (away from the car, makes the wheels sit in).

Most 17x7's and 17x7.5's you'll find on the market will have an offset around +38 to +45
I've got a set of 17x7" +32 Enkei's on my vr4 but I run much smaller tires than most of the us guys (215/40's)
There seems to be a big trend towards running big rubber on narrow rims over there which I must admit I don't understand.
My new rims are 18x9's with 235/40's

You want around 5.5 inches of backspace, regardless of the wheel width. So to get the right offset, subtract half the width of the wheel from 5.5 inches. For a 7-inch rim that would be 5.5-3.5=2 inches or 50 mm. For an 8-inch rim that would be 5.5-4=1.5 inches or 38 mm. You can go a few mm either way.
Mike R.

hmm 18-9 sounds frinedly.. which rims? 4 lug still?

Quoting H05TYL:
Quoting Dialcaliper:

Positive offset is the distance (in mm) that the mounting face is moved toward the inside of the wheel (wheelwell). this has the effect of making the rim and tire stick out farther from the car (you could say it "offsets it"). Negative offset is where the mounting face is moved towards the outside edge of the rim. This has the effect of "tucking" the wheel in the wheelwell.

rim-offset-image.gif

For your size I'm guessing you probably want something around 38-40mm (negative) offset

Well said, except you've got your positive and negatives mixed up.

If you measure from the centre line of the wheel a negative number brings the mounting face inwards (towards the car, makes the wheels stick out) and a positive number moves the mounting face outwards (away from the car, makes the wheels sit in).

Most 17x7's and 17x7.5's you'll find on the market will have an offset around +38 to +45
I've got a set of 17x7" +32 Enkei's on my vr4 but I run much smaller tires than most of the us guys (215/40's)
There seems to be a big trend towards running big rubber on narrow rims over there which I must admit I don't understand.

H05TYL

5stud not 4stud unfortunately.

work emotion xd9's

yeah figures all the good rims i can find are for 5 lug... found some motegi tracklights the ones i use to have on my wrx and tirerack.com says they will fit but im skeptacle.

kartorium

Quoting H05TYL:

You've got the trend backwards, the trend is to run 235's or skinny ass section widths on massively wide wheels like you are doing. Its quite the trend too, but thats it, a trend.

No one here runs big rubber on narrow rims. For the most part people run what you are suppose to run for a given rim width and tire. We run proper sized tires for the weight of our vehicle in order to be more competitive at local events. Running a 235 on a 9" wheel is retarded, if you think its cool, go buy a VW or an E30 bmw. All those fanboys will love your super stretched tires. There is no functional point to it.

If you can't tell yet, stretched tires are somewhat of a pet peeve for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i personally dont like them either...just not my thing...ellensburg u must go to college there? dident know there were too many other galant vr-4s in washington..

kartorium

I use to go to college here, but I grew up in kittitas county also.

Washington actually has a lot of GVR4's, they are just spread out and don't get driven very often. Probably over 10 of them in the yakima/ellensburg area alone.

i just dont understand what you guys do there? i went to chelan last weekend at my timeshare i was bored out of my mind.. only ONE sbux and they dident even get my order right NO healthy places to eat...no gyms or anything id be poor there lol have to go pick fruit or something like everyone else does..

kartorium

you basically just came out and said "hey, I'm a city boy, look at me!!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jokes aside, there is lots to do here, just nothing indoors.

turbowop

Yeah, there's nothing to do on this side of the mountains and picking fruit is the only career opportunity.

Please stay on the West side of the state. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

H05TYL

Quoting kartorium:
Quoting H05TYL:

You've got the trend backwards, the trend is to run 235's or skinny ass section widths on massively wide wheels like you are doing. Its quite the trend too, but thats it, a trend.

No one here runs big rubber on narrow rims. For the most part people run what you are suppose to run for a given rim width and tire. We run proper sized tires for the weight of our vehicle in order to be more competitive at local events. Running a 235 on a 9" wheel is retarded, if you think its cool, go buy a VW or an E30 bmw. All those fanboys will love your super stretched tires. There is no functional point to it.

If you can't tell yet, stretched tires are somewhat of a pet peeve for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

er... whoa.

Lets not get into 'trends' as a term of derision, I meant it merely as a description of an observation of a different way of doing things.

oh, and 9" is 228.6mm how wide is a 235 section tire?
you talk like i'm going to be running 205's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Hate takes alot of effort - some pet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

turbowop

If you have a 9" wheel, why only run a 235 tire? The whole point of going with wider wheels is to fit wider rubber for better traction. 9" wheels deserve at least a 255 tire. May as well just go with an 8" wheel if you're going to run 235's or narrower.

kartorium

I'm drunk, Mark somehwat described my thoughts, but in a more coherent way.

Good luck with your thoughts on 9" wheel being 228mmm and running those 235's.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not sure what tires you are running Hostyl, but does the manufacturer recommend 235s be used on a 9" wheel? If they do, I'm guessing it is at the bottom of the recommendation.

Stock evo stuff matches a 235 to an 8" wheel. I personally chose 225s for my 8" wheels, which was right in the recommendation for the tire I am using.

Too narrow a wheel and too wide a wheel both have their own negative effects. I personally wouldn't try to run a 255 on an 8", so I see what you are saying, but many have used 245s and been happy. That I felt was too wide also.

sry dident mean to come off as a dick.. just saying for what "IM" into im more into INDOOR things because i work as a trainer and am always healthy as far as food/nutrition goes... all i seen for food was fast food and no gyms so nothing there appeals to me and I personally wouldent be able to make any $$... btw what rims were you running on ur vr-4 IF i remember right they were gold and 17s?

er... whoa.

Lets not get into 'trends' as a term of derision, I meant it merely as a description of an observation of a different way of doing things.

oh, and 9" is 228.6mm how wide is a 235 section tire?
you talk like i'm going to be running 205's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Hate takes alot of effort - some pet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G

Staff member
Here is a function of running stretched tires. So your wheels "tuck" & don't rub if you want to go low low low....

cimg7139vi3xk9.jpg

cimg7143tn2hs0.jpg

cimg7144cw2af1.jpg

Try putting the correct size rubber on those wheels & you ain't lowering jack. Why not just buy narrower wheels? It's harder to get that fat lip look with narrow wheels, so it's more about looks than function to run that wheel & tire combo.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts