The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 Bolt LSD fit our GVR4's?

acustark

I ran across a 3 bolt LSD (from an eclipse?) and wanted to know if there are a direct swap out for stock 92 GVR4's?

JSchleim18

It Helps

But seriously, try to use the search function...not too hard: +3 +bolt +lsd

They will fit no problems but IIRC EDIT:BOTH of the axles is different for the LSD

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
One of the half shafts IS different. Also, you have to deal with AWS if you still have it, as DSMs don't have it.

ls2gto

BOTH axles are different!!! Just did the swap in my VR4...
Make sure the Axles and LSD are in good shape... And if you want to keep the AWS you must press the bearing off the LSD and the open Diff and place the Bronze gear on the LSD.. Not hard, but if you dont have access to press the bearing you might have to take it to a rear end shop.. And if anyone tells you The bearing will come off with a couple of screw drivers, their lying!!!

cOmpressor

Ya if you want to keep your stock rear steering and cut down on some of the work just swap the LSD carrier assembly from the 3-bolt into your housing. Like stated the bearings are hard to get off so be prepared to take it to a machine shop and have some tweaker do the work for ya.

Quote:
BOTH axles are different!!! Just did the swap in my VR4...
Make sure the Axles and LSD are in good shape... And if you want to keep the AWS you must press the bearing off the LSD and the open Diff and place the Bronze gear on the LSD.. Not hard, but if you dont have access to press the bearing you might have to take it to a rear end shop.. And if anyone tells you The bearing will come off with a couple of screw drivers, their lying!!!

What is different about the drivers side axle?

SleepinGVR4

It has an extra spline to engage the LSD. To be on the safe side just use both 3 bolt LSD axles.

I've done this to my car. I had a guy i know swap the 3 bolt LSD "guts" into the non LSD 3 bolt "body" of the GVR4's rear diff. So i could retain the AWS. I had it done for a $100 and had it reshimed and everything tightened back down. Works great.

jepherz

Staff member
Bringing this back because I actually found from personal experience that you need BOTH LSD axles. The right one (passenger side) has an extra set of smaller splines to engage the LSD, and the left (driver's) side positions the dust sheild/seal about 1/4" outside of where it should be, so you risk oil leaks etc.

Everything I had ever read told me that the left axles were the same for LSD and non-LSD except for a few hints from Keydiver. But, he is right, they aren't the same.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. I also highly recommend just buying a new bronze AWS drive gear and bearing for that side, as its easy to damage them while pressing them off the old diff and they aren't too pricey.

jepherz

Staff member
Just for proof, here is a few pictures of the difference between the 3 bolt axles. Both are left axles, one is LSD and one is non-lsd (Stock):

LSD is the shorter one:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts