The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just introducing myself

Hi there, name is Joe and I am Canadian. I have been an inactive member on here for a long time it seems, almost a year I think but hopefully that will change. Anyways, I met Scott Y (a member here) last summer at a drag racing event and he informed me of this site and all the information on it too. Thanks for giving me a hand with the cam timing Scott. Glad I was able to make at least two runs.

I dont have a galant but I do have a 1989 dodge colt that has been a project for over 3 years now. It started off with just a 4g63t swap, then after the tranny blew I bought a awd talon for $300 and did a awd swap, put on an aluminum flywheel and better clutch at the same time. Thought with all this new traction I need more power, so I purchased a 20g turbo, bigger injectors, fmic, fuel pump and a few other little things too. Last year I damaged the valves and wrinkled a lobe on one of the cams. Over this winter have purchased 272 cams, crower springs and retainers, ferrea intake and exhaust valves and pretty much every other part in the head. Just a few things left to get before I install it on the car. Here are some pics of what I did to it so far,

Back when it was fwd, 13.9 @ 109.9 mph, traction was an issue
26322383351.jpg
26723495947.jpg

Then the awd stuff started
10310271594.jpg
33622033966.jpg
-front motor mount
10423002347.jpg
11100380588.jpg

11100380874.jpg
12002101778.jpg

20000441453.jpg
32621133343.jpg

2512493884.jpg
2512493939.jpg

2512493984.jpg

The car ran down the track twice last year. 13.2 @ 85.2 mph, little bit of valve damage and let off early. Then came the 14.3 @ 69.4 mph, lots of damage and fair amount of smoke.

The fuel lines are 1/2" stainless steel, had to make a box to enclose the fuel cell. I started the body work but have not painted it yet because it is too cold in the garage. Here is how it sits for the winter
36020170247.jpg

Almost forgot the touch screen that I added for gauges and still need to finish mounting.
21621060067.jpg

Any questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for the space.

icurunnin

nice colt. I sold my wifes about a year ago and kinda regret it. It was a fun little daily for her but she loved her Toyota Landcruiser even more.

first post, and he kills it...

i guess i dont know my colt very well, is it the same bumper as the Galant? it looks so similar, like the zr4 wagon galant vr4.

The galant bumper is wider, so they dont fit. The first gen dsm bumpers do fit, but the top corners go into the wheel well too far so they do need to be trimmed. I made the opening for the front mount about twice as tall as the factory opening. Here is what they look like with the dsm bumper,
30113052689.jpg

2515234828.jpg

Forgot to mention the car is 1250 kg = 2755 pounds with half a tank of fuel. I think thats about 300 pounds lighter than a first gen talon. I am not sure what an awd galant comes in at, anybody know?

^ The awd galant is about 3250 pounds.

BTW I love 1g bumpers on the colts. Especially the Laser trimmed to match. Brings the front down a lot.

Nice work, and welcome out of your lurker status! I'd love some more info on that touch screen you've got set up for the gauges. Is it aftermarket, or did you design the whole thing yourself? Does it require special senders for the gauges or can it use a standard 5 volt sensor? What all can it monitor?

The screen is from ezautomation. I purchased it last winter. The screen layout can be designed anyway that you need, different styles of gauges to dials, numeric readouts. You can have somethings password protected, like my boost control, that way only I can turn it up past 14 psi. Up to 999 pages of ladder logic, thats the part that scans the inputs and does the calculations or changes and drives the outputs. The way I set mine up is I used after market senders, but if you have enough time and knowledge it can be done with the factory sensors. There are input cards (about from $20 to $100 a piece) for the screen that do accept 0-5 or 0-10 volts. The inputs can be scaled down or up to what ever you need. I was worried that the scan and update time on it was going to be a little slow for an a/f meter, but if I put enough decimal places in it the last number is always a blur.

It can monitor digital (on/off things), like rad fan status, a/c pump, power steering pump. But most of what people want are the analog stuff (variable things) such as the different pressures and temps of things. Alarms can be built into the program to warn the driver if exhaust temp or boost pressure gets too high, or oil pressure too low. Mine is setup so its only 14 psi boost until the oil is above 70*, then enter a password and it is set at 20 psi. The total price for me I think is around $1800 including sensors, if a guy had some stock sensors available it probably could be done for around $1200 - $1300 range.

I thought of the idea because I was starting to run out of room for gauges, I didnt want to have anything mounted higher than the dash, so that way not everyone driving past me can see it. We do work with similar units at work on gas compressors and pressure trucks.

The version they were designing when I bought mine is now out for sale this month, and I was thinking of getting a demo. Its a touchscreen computer, amd 333MHz cpu, ethernet, rs-232/422/485 ports. I know its not a power house for a computer but how much does a guy really need in a car??? It is able to run internet exlporer, Acrobat, Excel, Word and PowerPoint. The 6" version is $900 too, I was thinking of running it in the car, with DSMLink setup. So when I am at the drag races I can do a run, viewing or logging the usual stuff, make changes to the fuel, ignition or what ever in the matter of minutes. All with no cables, no laptop to worry about mounting or even being allowed to have one in some events.

The comments that I do receive from the screen are pretty good and encouraging. So far I dont think there is anybody that has a touchscreen computer that is able to run DSMLink. I have contacted the makers of DSMLink and they say this computer should have no problems doing it and they are more than willing to help me too. I just need my ecu setup for it.

Sorry for the long post but if you want to know more let me know. Is there anybody here that is interested in a DSMLink setup like that?

Yeah, thanks Blengie, there are so many names I recognize here from other forums too...

Wow! Nice car and that screen is awesome! Get it running and share more times with us.

Quote:
NOw get it running & bring it to the shootout!!!

I wish it was possible, the shootout is a long drive for me to tow the car. There is no way I would drive it that far. It would be nice to go some year with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned