The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch replacement. Parts required?

Hi, i just got the transmission out earlier today (with the help of a very knowledgable family friend, haha i'm useless...) and he recommended that i get new bolts and seals for the car. I just wanted to ask if anyone had a complete list of things i could/should replace when swapping a clutch, keep in mind the car has had around 166,000 miles and could use the new parts.

i actually just read a thread about someone in a very similar situation, but i just wanted to ask again to make sure my list was complete.

my appologies to anyone that is offended by me cluttering up the newbie section.

What i have so far...
new clutch
pressure plate
flywheel
tob
alignment too
(i'm actually missing that spring thing that holds up the tob) does anyone know if jnz has this or where i can get a replacement?...
new slave cylinder

looking to get...
new t/e/l master cylinder
braided ss clutch lines (2gs are longer?)
2g clutch fork
pivot ball
should i get an oem throw out bearing? or just stick with the one that came with the exedy set? (the throwout bearing that we took out didn't even have the outer sleave and it was no where to be found... the few balls within were melted to the ring!)
rear main seal? part #?...
new flywheel and clutch bolts (i think i read that fp sells them?)

Does anyone have the part #s for the other seals i should replace? i'm pretty clueless...

lastly what kind of transmission oil does everyone use? comments/oppinions?
i know everyone uses something different, but i don't know what to use, so it'd be nice to hear other peoples oppinions if that's ok?

also if there are other places to get these parts for a better deal, do let me know!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif in advanced for the help!

I would add axle seals, since you are there how are your axles/boots? any rips etc..

I used an OEM this time on my Galant and to tell you the truth it makes a little noise, not much but slightly noticeable If I pointed it out. My last 1G turbo I used the one with the kit I think it was a NSK? and It lasted me a long time with lots of abuse never a noise.

As far as fluids I always use Pennzoil Synchromesh (Autozone), and I used Redline gear oil in my transfercase. I just did Exactly what you are doing about 1 month ago on my Galant.

My 1G laser was a 1990 with lots of abuse, probably about 30+ trips to the dragstrip with NEVER a transmission problem. Not even a slight grind or notch EVER with the Pennzoil synchromesh.

But thats just my war story.

Good luck..

I reused all the stock mounting hardware (bolts, etc.) when I put my ACT 2600 in and it's held up fine. Make sure the threads are clean and use loctite and the proper torque and you should be fine. I 2nd getting a DSM master cylinder as they have a much larger reservoir. You can get a 1G SS clutch line that replaces the stock rubber one that connects the chassis hard line to the transmission hard line, or the 2G SS clutch line which bypass all of that and connects the slave cylinder directly to the master.

I tried BG Synchroshift and my transmission hated it. I switched to Redline MTL and MT90 and it got better, but have heard good things about Lucas and Mobil gear oils, so at some point I'm going to see if they're even better.

I would replace everything you listed, especially if it's never been replaced before. I replaced all the same parts when I did my clutch and I have complete control of the pedal engagement. I can adujst it to engage right off the floor or at the very top of the pedal travel. Before I did all this the clutch would engage right off the floor no matter what.

I would replace the axle seals like RAREVR4 said. The driver side one can be a PITA to get out and don't push the pass. side one in all the way when you install it. I learned this the hard way after replacing it 3 times trying to get it to stop leaking.

I'd also replace the oil seperator behind the rear main seal. I think it's less than $2.

Give JNZ Tuning a call. They can find the parts for you and get you everything you need at a great price.

ok well i guess ill be giving jnz a call soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts