The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

12v power source for a boost gauge

what 12v power source you gus use for the boost guage back lights since our dimmer switch is run off the ground any help would be greatly appreciated
Shane

Last edited by a moderator:

Rausch

Any keyed on would do. I think you can tie into the dimmer to have it match the cluster either way.

i used 12v from the sun roof since mine doesnt have one. just put a switch one one of the wires... i think i actually just wrapped the wires around the fuse leggs and plugged it in. was a crappy gauge and the light doesnt work anymore so not sure how great this idea is/was.

i'm hoping to keep the wires under the dash as i will be using the dimmer ground to allow adjustment of brightness along with the guage cluster, and i'mm 99% the dimmer is ground not positive so i need a positive 12v under the driver dash any more ideas?

14u2nV

I just told you, if the bulb lights up, that means one side of it is positive. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

*Works with any bulb with two wires, not just the one in the ashtray.

Last edited:

alright sounds good lol was looking for more of a location of the wire there are alot of wires down there and don't wanna mess it up

boostedinaz

I just did this on my Galant.

You have to tap both the ground and the power to an existing light that can be dimmed, or to the dimmer it self.

If you tap only one wire, ground or power, the gauge light will dim opposite of the other lights. Galants use a potentiometer (SP) unlike DSMs. I think I have some pictures at home of how I did it if you want to see them.

boostedinaz

I have two in an A pillar pod.

14u2nV

There is a constant 12v+ running up the pillar to go to the dome light/sunroof controls.

*it's not dimmable, but if you are using the dimmer as your ground, it should be fine.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

i wire my boost gauge into the dimmer switch therefore u can dim all the lights and it turns on and off with the lights.

boostedinaz

Does that dim with the cluster?

I just made a small harness for my gauge lights and then ran the two wires to the dimmer switch on the dash. They dim perfectly with the rest of the dash lights.

boostedinaz

Quote:

*it's not dimmable, but if you are using the dimmer as your ground, it should be fine.

It won't. I tried to hook up just one wire to the dimmer or to other lights and it dims opposite of the cluster. Someone said that there is a way to do it, but it was super easy to just tap both wires to the dimmer and they work perfectly.

thats it right there if you want it to dim with you cluster
boostedinaz sent me this

Last edited by a moderator:

BoostedAWD91

yes that will dim with the cluster

Quote:
Does that dim with the cluster?

I just made a small harness for my gauge lights and then ran the two wires to the dimmer switch on the dash. They dim perfectly with the rest of the dash lights.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned