The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

drag coefficient

324vr4

does anyone know the drag coefficients of our vr4's? was just thinking it would be kind of fun to compare ours to other vehicles. thanks

belize1334

Just look up the drag coefficient for a brick or some other rectangular solid and you'll be right in there. In all seriousness, I have no idea, but it's piss poor I can tell you that. The term "flying brick" has been known to appear on this forum any time high speed issues come up.

It's out there I remember seeing a document comparing the gvr4 to 1g t/e/l's and that was one of the numbers that they compared. I'll have to search my external hd for it.

dewman

I didnt see it on the list MJ posted,but i think the Honda Insight has the best drag co-eff of any production car /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

You are right, that list probably has not been kept up to date. I did run across that number somewhere else, it is around 0.19 which is extremely low for a car.
Mike R.

Keep in mind that Cd is only one of the two values that is important when figuring drag. The other part, that Cd is multiplied by, is frontal area. A car with a low Cd and high FA could have the same drag as one with a high Cd and low FA.

Correct. But the Insight's Cd is about half that of most other cars meaning it could have 2X the frontal area of other cars and be no worse off. But it also has a low frontal area, so at any velocity it will require much less HP to maintain speed than most vehicles.
Mike R.

JNR

0.34 is respectable for our cars...

Wasn't an older countach (with wings and such) like 0.45; remember reading an article on that and how it was less aerodynamic than an older 60's Impala...guess looks aren't everything /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif [edit - according to the link, it's 0.40, although I bet that is without the wing and especially that front one...damn, the Viper is 0.52 /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/ooo.gif no wonder it needs those two extra cylinders, lol]

Last edited:

Wings, spoilers, flares, intake/cooling vents, and wide tires all increase drag quite a lot and add to frontal area. You don;t see that junk tacked all over land speed record cars in any speed class. But for road and track cars the trade off in loss of top speed is worth it for the improved cornering speeds that come with more downforce and mechanical grip at the road.
Mike R.

DR1665

GVR4 .34
2G DSM .29

Just one of the many reasons why my Talon gets a brilliant 500 miles to a tank of gas, while my sweet brick gets a mere 250. (sigh)

Hksvr4

Maybe off the topic, but at 140mph, the doors sound like they are about to rip right off.

dewman

Quote:
Scroll about 3/4 down:
click

I looked for a website for them,but came up bupkis /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/bawling.gif Nice car nonetheless

sh*t he got over 200mph with it. nice another thing to add on to the galant title : first 4dr sedan to hit 200+mph /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts