The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So my vr4 will be sitting for 6months

Due to circumstances beyond my control my vr4 will be sitting the garage for 6months with me unable to drive it at all /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif. Is there anything I need to do so when I can finally drive it in 6months time I won't have to worry about problems from my vr4 just sitting there for 6months? Thanks.

Dan D

Put Fuel Stabilizer in the tank (don't leave the tank empty or it could rust)
If it's indoors, crack the windows so the weatherstipping doesnt deform
If you can get it off the ground or put on junk wheels, the tires won't flatspot/warp

When you do start it back up, put in fresh oil and prime the system with the mpi fuse out for a while before you fire it.

Disconnect the battery so the clock doesn't run it down. Put a car cover over it so it doesn't get dusty, after washing it so the car cover doesn't scratch it.
Mike R.

Maintainence? Last time the timing belt/balance belts/waterpump replaced? Have any mods you have been wanting to do? Also - time to check over everything and make sure it is in tip-top shape.

Yip battery's been disconnected and its had the belts, waterpump and oil changed in the last few months. Have plenty that I want to do while its sitting the garage /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/laugh.gif. I can start it up once in a while and let in idle I guess I just can't drive it anywhere /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif

Anything else I need to put into consideration?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrnvit

my gsr sat for about 8 months without being touched.
charged the battery and it fired straight away.
only problem i had was my pwr steering pump died along the way of the sitting period /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Even with the fuel stabilizer, make sure that the tank is full. That keeps moisture buildup to a minimum. Either put it on jackstands or mount up tires that you were going to throw away anyway, as there's a good chance they could develop flat spots from sitting that long. If you'll be periodically rolling it around then you can disregard that.

I've never heard about cracking the windows before, but if it will have a cover over it that seems like a good idea. I'd also put some of those dryer beads in the car, the ones that suck up moisture. You don't want to come back to find mildew in the car. They're not hard to find, but if you have trouble check a RV (caravan to you guys?) store as they stock stuff for stored vehicles like that.

Also, if you hang a new air freshener in the car, the scent will permeate the carpet, seats and headliner and the car will smell like it for a LONG time, well after you throw the freshener away. That's good if you like the smell and bad if you don't. Maybe also condition the leather so it doesn't dry out and crack.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^Nice post, good info.

I like to turn the climate control intake mode to recirculate before parking the car for an extended time.

Unwanted meese, mices, and mouses will try and enter the interior through the climate control ducting.

I know the little housing complex they build inside the curve of the intake fills with up with friends and relatives fast, but I'm still not going to make it easy for them to migrate anywhere else.

Bastages! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If the storage area isn't really ideally climate controlled, consider removing the brake pads front and rear. Mark them with locations (corner) and inboard/outboard, and put them in a box on the driver seat. This will save them welding to your rotors, especially if they have a lot of metal in them. Maybe this is anal but this technique I have heard is used when storing cars for a long time. It will save some headaches as long as you don't need to take the car out for a 10 min drive just to circulate the fluids. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif
Another thing would be to operate the parking brake cable every so often while the car is up on stands. Don't pull it all the way, but this will keep it moving.

mikus

i keep glancing at this post and had to chime in...

I've never gotten pest problems in cars, god bless those that do as it's got to suck. I should note, I've heard (from teh vette dudes) to put a bar of irish spring under the hood and/or inside to deter 'varmints'.

Beyond that, +1 for a full tank (otherwise drain it out, the solution for those who like me did not plan ahead). the rest, is far more than i've ever known anyone to do. I, and many people I know, have cars that we fire a couple times a year with little trouble (admittedly they're all carburated but EFI should be even less trouble)

I tip my hat to the diligence in posts above.. but seriously, your car won't blow up if it sat for a while.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
Moth balls to keep out rodents.

Good advice Jeff!

I have had some success with moth balls, wrapped in cheesy-cloth, placed on a piece of plastic on the turbo/exhaust heatshield.

I just hate that smell. (Reminds me of grouchy old people, and platic slipcovers on couches.)

LOL on the Irish spring suggestion!

I'd heard that before, in fact it came up in a thread here, so I tried it.

I took a cheesegrater to a bar, and sprinkled it on newspaper and set it in the engine compartment.

It was gone the next day. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/ooo.gif

Turns out, the little fawkers will eat it.

I don't know how the bastages felt the next day though. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Whenever my dad or I have stored cars for the winter, we always use moth balls in the exhaust pipe, interior, and a few places in the engine compartment. One year I didn't put enough in the engine compartment, and I found a cute little nest in the neck of the intake runners. Other than that, never had any problems; I'd rather deal with the smell for a few months than have mouse guts spraying out my vents and wiring problems. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Why not just drive on a huge sheet of Saran wrap and put another one over it and wrap the whole fricken car? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/idea.gif

Gvr4-330

It's better for the engine if you don't run it every few weeks. The biggest wear and tear is the cold starts without oil.

You're better off just waiting until you are taking it out of storage before you start it.

Rob

cOmpressor

I had a friend that made sheet metal boxes the went around the wheels to keep out mickey and the gang, only other way to get in would be by parachute. I'm in Cali so the only real pests I see are at Petco.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned