The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlight disassembly

Anyone have the secret to taking the glass lens off of the headlight assembly? I poppoed the clips off and did a little prying only to chip the lip on the lens. Are they normally glued in or are they just wayyyy tight?

Thanks.

atc250r

Staff member
There is info if you search on it. You have to heat the housings up in an oven. Also, www.hidplanet.com is a good source of info for headlight modding.

John

JSchleim18

glued in...pop them in the oven for 25 min on the lowest setting (175 F IIRC) and pry it off with a flathead...just wear gloves as it tends to be a little messy (mine wasn't messy at all though)

Thanks for the info. Any info on findingthe glue to reinstall the lens so they seal good and don't get condensation in them?

JSchleim18

RTV Black silicone will do the trick...there's also the headlight glue you can purchase from Nissan that will work

JSchleim18

aight good luck...you may be better off keeping it at 175 for 20 minutes...take em out and give them a shot (you need only a little pressure to separate them)...then if that doesn't work, 200* for 5 minutes and you should be straight

brisvr4

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any info on findingthe glue to reinstall the lens so they seal good and don't get condensation in them?

If you make sure you are very careful when you disassemble them you just have to reheat them in the oven and pop them back together ( as long as you have a good coating of the original sealant still on them ). Mine sealed perfectly using this method.

Took care of it last night. Everything went well and I have them back together. I did reheat them before I put them back together and I added alittle gray RTV. Looks like they sealed pretty good.
Thanks guys for your input.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts