The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is your Throttle Body grounded?

steve

We were talking about this at the NY meet and even though I knew about this, I never realized that my car was missing the grounding bracket. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/crazy.gif

Basically, the t-body needs to be grounded because the closed-throttle-switch on the back of it needs a ground to tell the ECU the throttle is closed. Most of these cars are missing the bracket that normally grounds the t-body.

"Why does it need a bracket? Its bolted to the intake manifold!" you might say. The t-body is isolated from the manifold with a gasket. The bolts pass straight through the holes in the tbody into the manifold and may not make contact with the tbody it directly.

If your idle sometimes hunts up and down by about 200 rpm, or you're sometimes unable to adjust your keydiver adjustable stutterbox, or your adjustable stutter box seems to change settings even when you didn't change it, you probably have this problem. What you want to do is ground the t-body using the bolt in the top, per this example (which is also apparently missing any type of ground)

edited for easier searching

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

Six steps ahead of you, sukka, ha ha...

Actually, I think I grounded the throttle switch itself, but it's been awhile and I have that other ground attached, although I have 'upgraded' to #8AWG, iirc.

steve

Yeah I figure there are a lot of people who don't know about this. First thread I went to in the Members Rides to look for a sample pic, didn't have any ground to the throttle body. I'm sure it will help a few people.

boostedinaz

I have been having some similar issues with my Talon. Even though I know that the Tbody should be grounded I would have never thought to check it.

CP

My car does all that stuff. You ripped out some ground straps on Sunday when I wasn't looking, didn't you?

steve

I wanted to be helpful. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

thanks for the credit, pee hole bug

Sometimes the stutterbox changes settings so I should look into that.

Then again sometimes the car blows headgaskets...

sh*t. My car does those things. Pretty sure I chucked that bracket when I installed my FMIC /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

belize1334

My problem is that the closed throttle switch works when the engine is cool but then becomes fickle when things warm up. I can't seem to get it adjusted correctly. Maybe this will help.

Yea my car idles really high when the car is moving even if i'm not touching the gas and I'm not in gear....then as soon as I stop the car is goes up and down a few times then very very!!! slowly settles to its normal idle...usually takes like 5-10 minutes. Maybe its because my ecu still thinks the throtle is open? I'll have to check into this to see if mine is grounded. This part might sound stupid but I just run a ground wire from the negative terminal to that bolt? Or from that bolt to a random grounding spot like a bolt in the firewall or on a wheel well?

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

I circled a ground spot on the firewall.

My bad Luke. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif Luke brought this up and reminded me about it. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/cool.gif

good one! i think that little bracket always disappears whenever i put an engine together and i never really thought about it.

belize1334

Are you talking about the piece that spans between the tb and the cas?

CP

From looking at that picture, why would you even need a bracket? Just run a wire from the TB to the firewall. That's what I'm going to do.

steve

Yup thats all you need to do. The bracket was the way it was done from the factory, but its not the only way. You can just run a wire to any ground point. The original bracket went from the point circled on the TB to the TB bolts that go through the elbow into the intake manifold. That way the TB was grounded through the bolt into the manifold.

belize1334

Huh, I don't remember that bracket ever being present on mine, and to my knowledge I was the first person to touch my tb. It was probably there and I just lost it. I'm awesome like that. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/cool.gif

steve

gtluke

he also has a BOV cover, which never existed on USDM gvr4's so he must be OEM anal like me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts