The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil pan drain - has washer?

Yes, I replace it every oil change. Small silver crush washer... I have the dealership tape one to each oil filter for us so nobody forgets.

JNR

hmmm, I'll have to check mine next time I'm under there. I don't remember seeing one and don't have any leaks, but sounds like a good idea to replace it, nonetheless.

Thats funny all these years I never caught onto that. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif The BMW style internal oil filters always come with replacement washers.

mistaVR4

Quote:
Yes, I replace it every oil change. Small silver crush washer... I have the dealership tape one to each oil filter for us so nobody forgets.

Same here, actually they would just do it automatically. Definitely a must have!

GVR-4

Not to argue the point as I think it is a good idea to replace it, but I bought a new oil drain plug from Satan a few years back and it came with the new crush washer. I've not replaced the crush washer since then and my plug doesn't leak.

I intend to replace it every oil change, but my oil changes are not planned so much as happen when I notice that it's overdue and I actually have 20 minutes of time not monopolized by other problems. Which means I never get around to getting new washers. I re-use them multiple times and they generally don't leak. I don't like that I do that but that's how it goes.
Mike R.

wowzer

yeah mine drips also I picked up a new plug now just need to get some washers. I was thinking about using copper washers that way i can reuse them.

In fact I have been using copper washers but they also have a finite life. Multiple reuse causes them to work harden to the point where they don't seal reliably.
Mike R.

JNR

Just pick up the 'jumbo pack' next time and put them in your Galant stash (along with the oil, filter, etc.)...That's what I do with all my hardware (standard, metric, stainless, o-rings, e-clips, you name it /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif ); I on't remember the last time I had to go to the store on a project, for stuff like that (well worth the space it takes)!

wowzer

yeah I figured the copper would eventually but its better then my other motor where they uses a nylon washer to seal the pan. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

mikus

Quote:
yeah mine drips also I picked up a new plug now just need to get some washers. I was thinking about using copper washers that way i can reuse them

+1 I was figuring on 'reheating' (to reshape) a copper crush washer for now. Don't know if that reheat thing works well, this seems like a safe-ish way to try it

BoostedAWD91

come to think of it, there isnt one on my drain plug and it doesnt leak so far, ill have to get one, i need to replace my drain plug anyways

GVR-4

YMMV, but I tried every possible combination of aftermarket and OEM plug with all kinds of different aluminum and copper crush washers and only when I bought a new OEM plug that came with the OEM crush washer did my plug stop leaking. Dowatchalike.

belize1334

Sorta off topic. I used two oil drain plugs from Schucks when doing my 4ws elimination. They came with white plastic washers already on them. Now two days later I have power steering fluid drip drip dripping from both plugs. Are the plastic washers no good? Is satan the only source for the copper style?

No. Motorcraft, which makes OEM equipment for Ford, has them crosslisted (the Mitsu dealer I go to is also Ford). MD050317 and $1 apiece. IDK if this is a good price or not. I'm sure the Help! section in Autozone, Joe's etc. would have them also, but probably in a standard instead of metric size.

Edit: I misunderstood Roger's question. The above refers to the silver crush style oil pan washer. I still bet that Help! makes the copper ones though.

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

NM. Found them at Schucks. You have to buy an assortment but it works.

MMCVR4

A Honda/Acura drain plug washer (94109-14000) can also be used as an alternate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts