The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

part number for odyssey battery.

464/2K

im looking for the one that is really slim one about 3inches wide. the only ones i find dont have very much CCA.

here

belize1334

Unfortunatly that's pretty much the deal with Odysseys. They're small, light, and will last about 2 years if you don't abuse them too much, but they don't offer a whole lotta juice. I had two PC 625s that I ran in Parallel and that worked pretty well because I was able to stuff them down into my rear right fender well. Together it was over 1200 CCA. The problem is, even with all that juice avaiable, they don't store much charge so if you leave your lights on all day it's over.

464/2K

ah. so one will be ok?

belize1334

Qship runs a single Odyssey PC625 and he's pretty happy with it. Just don't expect it to be a diehard.

464/2K

alright well i guess i will be using one of those then. i dont have much space for a battery....

GVR-4

I got a PC 680 off eBay for like $70 to the door.

Mark

I like batcap's they work awesome but are very $$ for such a small battery. I tried a few oddessey's in the galant but it didn't like it for some reason. We sell oddessey at the shop and have had nothing but good luck with them.. DO NOT OVERTORQUE the battery posts. 10Foot lb's of torque is all they need. If you overtorque will damage the battery internally which is the reason a lot of them fail quickly.

Last edited:

464/2K

Quote:
I got a PC 680 off eBay for like $70 to the door.

link to seller?

JSchleim18

which of the Odyssey Batteries is good for a car with a lot of the usual electronics + a decent system?

Dan D

I use a PC680MJ. If it is going under the hood, you need the metal jacket version.

I took the sound system out before I installed it, only have a HU and speakers. I run a logger, and some gauges. I've never had a problem unless the car sits for more than a week and by then it's drained and needs a charge.

dime2nr

im running a 680mj and have not had any problems unless i leave something on like a dome light. plenty of juice to start the car just not alot of capacity in reserve.im not running a stereo or anything so thats not been an issue for me.

464/2K

Quote:
Optima makes really good batteries also.

i refuse to use those damn things. they are HUGE and weigh like 30+lbs.

Quote:
none of them.. i think its like a 200CCA battery,

An Odyssey battery's part number denotes it's cranking amps, and although it varies by model the cold cranking amperage is about 37% of that. I used to run an Odyssey 925 (380 CCA), and then "downgraded" to a 625 (265 CCA) when I got the RRE IC pipes and decided to put it in the trunk (the 925 was in the stock intake location). I didn't notice any difference at all in starting the car, even with the smaller battery and much longer wiring (though I used welding cable instead of normal wire; much better). One difference between Odyssey's and other batteries is that any rated cranking output of the battery is the minimum able to be maintained by a fully charged battery for 5 seconds, whereas others may list only the peak output. The 625 can maintain 400 hot cranking amps over 30 seconds. Plus the Odyssey's can be fully discharged and recharged over 400 times, which is incredible. Any normal battery would suffer severe plate scarring long before that. I got a second Odyssey 625 to run in parallel, thinking that the one might not be enough, but haven't put it in as I have no need for it. However, if one is planning on putting in big stereo stuff /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif or running an inverter or other such things, I'd think about going with a larger Optima or other battery as the Odysseys as mentioned don't have a whole lot of reserve capacity. But c'mon, the damn thing weighs only 15 lbs. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif I got my first one off ebay for about the same price as above, and picked up the second one "locally" at Batteries Plus for I think about $80.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluFalcon

I've got a PC925 in my car right now and haven't had any issues with it in the month or so that I've been using it in the car. I've left the car sitting for a week or so and was able to start it up with no issues. Here's a few pics of my setup:

img.php

img.php

img.php

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned