The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake pads for street

sag1441

what are some decent brake pads for street use? not looking for hardcore braking power as its just for daily driving with rarely any heavy braking. just need quiet ones with little dust.

CP

Porterfield R4S. I've used these on a number of cars and they're great.

Stay far away from the EBC Greens.

atc250r

Staff member
I have to disagree with Cy. I had a set of Greens and they did what they were intended to do. They were quiet, low dusting, better fade resistance than stock, and lasted a long time.

John

CP

Agree to disagree then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've read of more and more negative experiences with EBC Greenstuff pads on any number of vehicles. My wife had them on her auto Saab 9-3 a few years ago, and they would begin to fade after coming down on off-ramp. They're the worst popular pad on the market, in my opinion.

In addition to my great personal experience with the Porterfields, I've heard good things about the Hawk HP Plus. They're not really suited to for the track as some descriptions say, but are a good combo pad for street and autox, just like the R4S.

FWIW, I run the R4S in the winter in New England and they're great in the cold too. However if you don't really give a rat about you car's braking prowess and don't care to spend a little extra for good pads, just get some el-cheapo pads from Autozone.

Last edited:

If you don't care about performance, your best bet is some autoparts brand with a lifetime warranty. I believe I have some experiences with different brake pads on my site. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
what are some decent brake pads for street use? not looking for hardcore braking power as its just for daily driving with rarely any heavy braking. just need quiet ones with little dust.

I have the Wagner ceramics on mine for now, needed something budget but wanted decent quality. While they do bite very well initially I think a lot of hard braking would fade them fast, then I don't really nail the brakes on a regular basis so for now for me their fine. Minimal dusting as well.

I have been using KVR carbon fiber semi-metallic for years and I like them. Not the cheapest. If you want merely functional go to Autozone, Napa, or some other autoparts chain.
Mike R.

I went the cheap route as I am planning a 5-bolt and big brake upgrade and did not want to drop a ton on my brakes just to throw it away. Ironically, the Autozone Duralast Gold ceramics I picked up work remarkably well. Better than the Akebonos I had on the BMW and MX-3.

sag1441

i work at autozone and have talked to a few service advisors and they say autozone pads have a much higher metal content then oem and are prone to noise, anyone of you guys have that on parts store pads?

Mine feel pretty decent. Have to warm them up a bit then they bite nicely. No dusting on the rims compared to more metallic pads. Maybe it depends on what level of pads you get. I know AZ sells a few different ones.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quote:
Porterfield R4S

+1

CP

Quote:
What about Carbotech pads? Anyone use them?

The Bobcats are supposed to be comparable to the Porterfields, both in performance and price. I'm trying to track down a set of the XP-10 track pads to use for the second half of the season.

ken inn

the absolute best pad for street is akebono ceramics. little to no dust, and good stopping. the exact opposite is pbr ceramics, which will dust with the car just sitting in the garage. we have the akebono's on the mazda's, and i am amazed at how little dust there is. lots of bmw shops have gone to the akebonos for the low/no dust. depends on your priorities, but if it is dust, go akebono.

SleepinGVR4

Quote:
the absolute best pad for street is akebono ceramics. little to no dust, and good stopping. the exact opposite is pbr ceramics, which will dust with the car just sitting in the garage. we have the akebono's on the mazda's, and i am amazed at how little dust there is. lots of bmw shops have gone to the akebonos for the low/no dust. depends on your priorities, but if it is dust, go akebono.

Hey Ken are these the Akebono's your talkin about?

Front
AKEBONO Part # ACT530 {OE Ceramic}
Front - w/ AWD and Turbo - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad

Rear
AKEBONO Part # ACT329 {OE Ceramic}
Rear - w/ AWD and Turbo - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad

Found them on RockAuto

toybreaker

iconoclast
Scott, I can get the Akebono's locally.

They are in stock at one of the stores I do a lot of wholesale business with. They also stock Brembo rotors.

I was suprised at how cost effective the brembo/akebono set up was.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned