The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

adjusting cam timing to crank postion

I believe the guy who had my car before me just slapped everything back together when he got the head back from a local shop. It won't fire, and it is getting gas and spark. So I want to check to make sure the timing is correct. I have never done this on any car. Where do I start?

ggsxkid

Ther should be a little slit on the crank pulley, line this slit with the T on the lower timing cover and pull you upper timing cover off and ther should be two other slits that have white paint on them on the cam gears pointing towards each other after you set the crank pulley, at the same time check to see if the dowel pins on the cams are pointing straight up. might be able to get pics if needed.

Last edited:

well the cams gears where way of from each other. Lets see if anyone could tell me if i have bent valves or not. Alright say that the the number 1 cylinder is at tdc, ok now the exhaust cam is about 40 degrees counter clockwise of the intake cam. Is this enough to bend valves? I still haven't tried to start it up yet because I don't want to bother trying to put the belt back on if I just have to take the head off to change a couple valves.

Oh and might I add that the motor has never run while it was like this, but I did try to start it when I was told the only thing it needed was IC pipping and fuel pump wired up. Could the power of the starter and it only spinning at that low of a speed bend them. And I also took a look at trying to do the timing my self and it is not going to happen. I have no experience with it and don't want to start now. About how much would a local shop charge or even a dealer to fix the timing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rausch

being that it is an interference(sp) motor, there is the possibility that you could have bent valves. but if you did not hear anything out of the ordinary, there's a chance that they didn't spin enough to do any major damage....tough call

Lucky13

A timing belt change would probably cost a small fortune. If you sure enough you might as well do it yourself and save yourself the money. On top of that, if you tell them you suspect bent valves they are gonna want to pull the head...again... not cheap.

well I don't need it changed, it is brand new. The kid that tried to do it himself didnt do it right. He didn't align anything with tdc. So would it be less to just have someone adjust them?

ggsxkid

It's still basically the same process without parts cost. if you get it done by someone else take it to the dealer or someone who has had lots of experience with t belt jobs on these motors. ive seen to many cars come in here at mitsu that were just half ass jobs. what parts where replaced when the last person tried to do the t belt and if you reply with only the belt you are going to need more parts like a water pump is good to replace while it's apart then all the pulleys along with the balance shaft belt not to mention the tensioner.

ken inn

if the rockers are all still in place, that is a good sign. the best way will be to line it all up, then crank it over and do a compression test. that will tell you right away if there are any bent valves. to realign the cams/crank is like a forth of a belt job.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned