The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo diagnostic steps for low psi?

mikus

Hello - first, please bear with me.. I've searched & read up and have some ideas, but I'm hoping to leverage those with someone who has 'been there' (I'm car-savvy but very early into the turbo learning-curve)

Is a 1991, 145K and totally stock except 2g manifold. On test, I'm making max ±6psi from the turbo.. and it takes a while to get there, it's a slow & steady from 3000 to about 5500rpm 6psi.

I will diagnose over the weekend, & am looking for help understanding what is most/least likely culprit. Seems like these are some candidates I should look at. whaddya think?
- leak in system (pressure test at turbo, at TDC)
- turbo going south (inspect shaft play, blade damage, cavernous cracks)
- BOV or WG issues (i'm very foggy on these 2, need help)
- cat is clogged (is this really that likely a cause?)
- other?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hertz

Staff member
WG issue: the wastegate could be stuck open, or the area around the WG opening is cracked (very likely). Do you have a manual boost controller? Even with some good cracks, I was able to get my old 14b up to 15psi, so I would suspect a boost (piping) leak first.

mikus

no MBC... it's a safe bet to assume I have nothing that's non-stock or cool in any way. 'cept a JDM cupholder.

Suggesting then, a MBC would allow me to adjust for the addtl air lost from a WG crack? thanks Ryan

OldHairyBastard

Were you able to find out what was causing your boost issue yet?

Doug
Quote:
WG issue: the wastegate could be stuck open, or the area around the WG opening is cracked (very likely). Do you have a manual boost controller? Even with some good cracks, I was able to get my old 14b up to 15psi, so I would suspect a boost (piping) leak first.

Hertz

Staff member
Mine? Nope. Haven't looked yet. I'm going to start with checking the timing. I'm suspicious of the tone the motor makes at > 3500rpm. EGTs don't suggest that the timing is off, however.

Then I need to go fill my air tank and do a pressure test.

steve

Ooh fancy. Haven't used it yet though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

img.php

try to release the exhaust pipe from first flange before cat, go around and wake up the neighborhood (much better if done at midnight), if problem continues,you might need new bearings in your turbo. Good luck.

mikus

I found a great general link for the next person searching on this topic:
link
seems to cover the basic diagnosis well

You have an aftermarket boost gauge? The stock boost gauge is kind of funny how it reads vac/pressure.

I have the same problem with my 1G right now. My problem is the seals are blown on my turbo and the blow by is insane. The stock turbo wastegates tend to rust as well and get stuck open.

I would build a pressure checker and go from there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts