The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AC delete How-To?

CP

I've decided that for the 5-6 times per summer that I actually use my AC, that I can stand to lose it. I figure all my GOOD AC parts should go to one of you guys in the south or midwest that actually need them for 6 months straight.

I'm hoping that losing the condenser will free up more cooling air to the radiator and help my persistent cooling issues. The weight loss will benifit during lapping.

I just looked through the 10 pages of How-To's twice and didn't see an AC Delete thread. I could have sworn there was one. I figure it's a pretty straightforward removal. The only problems I can see are getting the compressor out (from underneath I guess) and the condensor.

I'm pulling my radiator in a week or two to replace a bad sensor, and was hoping that I could yank the condensor at the same time. Please tell that it comes out from the rear, and not from the front (don't want to move my oil cooler out of the way, or remove the bumper) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyone know?

Also if there's a good thread on this subject, a link would be appreciated. I thought Colin (sleepyvr4) posted a How-To, but I can't find it. Thanks.

atc250r

Staff member
Condensor comes out from between the radiator and the radiator support. The rest is basically as straight forward as you're thinking it is. IIRC the compressor comes out from the top or bottom but I think that the t-case might need to come out if you're going through the bottom.

John

Polish

I got mine out the top, with the stock intake manifold in place.

the condensor comes right out with the radiator out. the compressor comes right out the top. The lines are realy easy to follow and pull out. Pretty easy process.

Just dont let the refidgerent out into the air...lol

spartan

Oh yeah, I just took my condensor out ^^^^ what does everybody use to plug that hole? Is there something from the factory that is supposed to go there or something???

Polish

JNZ sells the plug that came on non AC cars.

CP

So...

With the radiator out, the condensor comes out on the engine side? And the compressor will come out from either the top of bottom; whichever is easier. I'll vacate the garage when I pollute the environment during system discharge. I just filled it with the new stuff last spring.

I'll need to get a plug for when the thing under the dash is pulled...

I've already got an interested party in TX for parts, so please refrain from the "I want" PMs. Thanks.

I actually broke something in my drivetrain last night doing something stupid. So I'm pissed at the car (and myself) right now, which is sitting in my garage on jackstands. I've stolen my wife's car for a few days until I can cool off and figure out what I broke. F-ing Galant... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
don't forget the ac condensor behind the glove box...

That's the evaporator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Firewall plugs are shown in section 55-430 of CAPS. There are three given. You may have to measure to get the right ones, or find something local at NAPA or something.

Last edited:

CP

I talked to Eric at JNZ and he seemed to know what I was talking about and said they've got the plugs in stock.

steve

Is that a significant weight savings (the evaporator)?

Polish

There are 3 total boxes under the dash. One is the heater core and the other 2 are the fan/evap. Those 2 on my bathroom scale were about 13lbs. So just pulling one would likely be 6ish lbs.

Last edited:

steve

OK because I think mine is still in, but all the underhood AC stuff is gone.

CP

I'm gonna guess a total weight savings of around 35+ lbs based on what I've read. That's a mighty big dump you'd have to take to get the same results at the track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can weigh all this stuff once I get it out.

Can anyone explain the process for getting the thing under the dash out, or is it pretty straightforward? Where is it exactly? I know there's a fan and filter-type thingy behind the glovebox (I've cleaned it out before), but I thought that was for the heater, which I definitely want to keep.

Polish

I wouldn't bother because the you have to fab up something to connect the fan to the heater core. You can just gut out the evap thing but it hardly seems worth it. Especially if the car ever gets put in someones hands that wants AC. They can just bolt the under hood stuff in and go.

CP

I don't really give a rat about future owners, if I ever even decide to sell it.

Bimmubishi

If you remove the evap in some cars you will eliminate the heat as it connects to the heater core and operates also as a duct. I had that problem in my car and had to fabricate a dummy evap unit that was empty.

Alex

Polish

I just said that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Consider it confirmation of your valuable input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts