The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fitting new springs.

My car had cut springs when I got it so I have some lowering springs for it and wanna put them in myself. Ive never done it before and Im not to confident right away so a brief explaination and tips to make this easier would be much aprieciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At the same time I would like to check and change my wheel bearings (I have 2 new replacements). How do I know what ones need changing and how do I go about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Warning: Speak slowly please I am a newbie haha. We all had to start somewhere.

Cheers.

4Grim

I strongly recommend having these items besides the wrenches and sockets you should already have.
1. Some sort of rust penetrant (For loosening rusted bolts and nuts)
2. Vice and Vice grips
3. A spring compressor (Some auto parts stores will rent the tool..probably the most important tool)

Removing the installing the struts and shock assemblies from the car is easy..the hard part is taking them apart and putting back together. With the right tools though..it will be a breeze. This link shows how to install GC coilovers..but it explains the removal ,disassemble, reassemble, and install of the strut/shock assemblies... Suspension install

Thanks that realy helpfull.
Just need some info on the wheel bearings now and I'll be set.

I've hit a problem. The back springs were easy. Front suspension came out OK. Putting the suspension back in the front right was difficult but I did it. With the front left I'm stuck at this point: (this is not my car it's just one off the web)

I cant seem to get the brake and wheel assembly to sit uprite allowing the two bolts that connect it to the suspension line up. I tried using a jack to hold the breaks up in place and this helped on the right side, but when I do it to this side it makes the angle of the break assembly even worse.

Its like the axle or something is not allowing the top of the break assembly move closer the the car?

Or the opposite is happening and something isn't allowing the bottom to move away from the car?

Has anyone got any idea on what may have happened? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tpr103

ive never had that problem before on any of the 1gs ive did fronts on, and there was many! only thing i can say is get it as close as you can with the jack. then wiggle one of the bolts in. then grab a bfh (big f@#*&ng hammer) and hit it in all the way. be careful if it is to hard to hammer in. you don't want to mess up your threads

it looks like you did not index the upper & lower spring perch's. pull the strut Assembly back out & you will see right under the top mount (Bering) on the upper spring perch there is a small hole. you need to be sure this hole is lined up with the one on the strut (lower spring perch) vertically. if it is off the spring will sit wrong & hit the inside of the strut tower.

P.s. it would take a really big effen hammer to get it in the way it is & still be undrivable.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's not a picture of his car/problem.

Make sure you didn't accidentally pull the axle out of the trans. That would make the angle funny.

**and if you did... put it back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I can see about 3-4 inches of fresh grease on the axle by the rubber boot as if it has come out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif What do I have to do to put it back in?

inboard cv is called a tripod. you have pulled the tripod out of the cage. rotate the axle till you feel it line back up & then slip it back into the housing. this will happen anytime you drop the spindle that far with the axle still in the hub.

speedyvr4

Quote:
inboard cv is called a tripod. you have pulled the tripod out of the cage. rotate the axle till you feel it line back up & then slip it back into the housing. this will happen anytime you drop the spindle that far with the axle still in the hub.

Thats about a good a guess as anyone can make without looking at it. Also make sure your top bolts are still loose just to make it that much easier to piece things back together.

It worked I just had to relese the hand break and turn the axel and it went back in easy as.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned