The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need a part for my oil filter housing.

Terry Posten

This may be a noob question, so I will post here.

I want to eliminate my water oil cooler part only. Is there a shorter large hollow stud that can be bought so that I can screw it into the housing and then put a filter straight onto it?

Need something in about 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Terry Posten

Yes. That is correct.

The stock setup, which most of the GVR4 are still using, is worst than not having a cooler at all.

Not something I would do, but the stud from a 90 style oil cooler should be the same thread.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^the filter stub is cast into the housing on the 90 air/oil cooler adapter and is not removable.

I actually kind of like the water/oil heat exchanger. I run them on my winter beaters, as they bring the oil up to operating temp more quickly, and keep the oil temperature more stable during very cold weather operation.

That said, I will use the 90 style air/oil cooler set up (with an aftermarket cooler) on my next build, as it won't see much cold weather operation.

I have an extra sandwich cooler, if you need it.

John

Last edited:

Let me clarify... a non-turbo 2.0L oil filter housing. When I ordered one for my GF's 6-bolt swap, it took at least a month to get... it was on national backorder, but that was over a year ago.

~Mark

OldHairyBastard

^^^Yes but one from the junkyard is cheap and there are always a lot on hand. If you pay more then $5.00 that is too much.

Terry Posten

Nevermind. I just punched out the plugs that force the oil through the cooling fins so that it has a straight shot in and out of it.

That should do just fine.

Thanks anyway.

For more room and to do this you could switch over to the forward facing oil filter housing. They are cheap new and free up room for the dp/o2 exit and get rid of the oil cooling.

Do they fit on Galants? I don't see why they wouldn't, but I thought that I read somewhere that they didn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

slugsgomoo

Quote:
Yes. That is correct.

The stock setup, which most of the GVR4 are still using, is worst than not having a cooler at all.

good to see that other people have seen the light.

1) risk of coolant/oil mixing
2) worthless extra-heating of oil

the only good thing about the stocker is bringing the oil to temp faster, period.

Quote:
Do they fit on Galants? I don't see why they wouldn't, but I thought that I read somewhere that they didn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

sjg said that back in this tech post, but I have never seen anything to prove it.

Quote:
sjg said that back in this tech post, but I have never seen anything to prove it.

the picture i posted shows exactly how much space is there for a filter. it doesnt look like there is any reason one wont fit right on. its going to dump oil all over the frame when you take it off, but the retarded way all of the factory filter mounts are made does that.

I think what comes into question with the galants and the forward facing oil filter housings is which filters you can use. I **THINK** the stock oil filter you are to use on gvr4's will not fit as they are too long?(causing you not to be able to line it up to screw it on the housing or unscrew it from the housing) And instead you have to use a shorter filter like the evo8 filter.

I agree with Slugs, but add:
Unnecessary heating of coolant by 260 degree oil.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts