The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dyno Tune vs Wideband Tune

BpuVR4

Was wondering exactly how much of a benefit there is in getting a dyno tune over a wideband (street) tune. Thanks guys.

You save yourself massive tickets by tuning on the dyno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

both should be using a wideband. Personally, I think there are some obvious benefits to tuning on the street, and with 2nd gear (maybe 3rd) and freeway onramps, there's not too much trouble you can get in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gordian79

I prefer a street tune over a dyno tune.You can really work out those low speed,traffic light,idle bugs with a street tune.my race car gets tuned on the dyno(last time was 3 years ago)i really dont care about idle my car runs wot the entire 1320 thanks to a clutchless 5speed.my dad always wants me to get it to idle better i tell him the only time it idles is when its rolling thru water box.so for a street car i recomend street tune at first then if you wanna see #s go to the dyno.

Wideband only allows you to tune fuel, NOT timing, you need a dyno to properly tune the timing.\

Now this relates mostly to stand alone systems, aem, motec, ect..

If I have a car on my dyno, I guarantee I can hit not only all the points you do on the street, but about 30% more spots, and I can hold them in that spot as needed, where as on the street, you cant because the car is accelerating, which means more RPMS which means different spot. I can make your car think its climing straight up a hill if I wanted. Beauties of a load bearing dyno.

CP

I wish I could brainwash my car too during pulls.

CP

Quote:
I can make your car think its climing straight up a hill if I wanted. Beauties of a load bearing dyno.

I would go to dyno if you have multiple settings(ie, low boost high timing, high boost low timing etc.)to figure out which setting is making more power and so on.

Dyno tune will get better results IF the person doing the tuning knows his stuff, IF you can get all the pulls you need to do the job right, and IF you have fuel and/or timing control to take advantage of what the dyno tells you. eg: Stand alone ECU, DMS Link, fuel management piggyback etc.

If all you can do to adjust your tune is change the base timing and fuel pressure the information from the dyno is probably overkill imho and you might as well save the $$$ and tune it for a/f with a wideband and a datalogger (for knock, mostly).

CP

So should I be doing my street tuning (with SAFC and WBO2) for knock, or my target a/f ratio?

steve

Your target A/F should = no knock.

Polish

Both. Get a solid AF Ratio and as much timing as your car will allow with no knock at your desired boost level.

CP

Ok. I still can't get the goddam wideband to log in mmcd though. I'm playing with the connectors this week, as I am getting a 0-5V output at the pin from the WBO2 brain, which I've stuck in slot 15 at the ECU. But somehow the signal gets lost between the ECU and the logger.

Quote:
Dyno tune will get better results IF the person doing the tuning knows his stuff, IF you can get all the pulls you need to do the job right, and IF you have fuel and/or timing control to take advantage of what the dyno tells you. eg: Stand alone ECU, DMS Link, fuel management piggyback etc.

If all you can do to adjust your tune is change the base timing and fuel pressure the information from the dyno is probably overkill imho and you might as well save the $$$ and tune it for a/f with a wideband and a datalogger (for knock, mostly).

+1

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts