The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo3 16g = big 16g?

turboren

I realize this has more than likely been covered before, but are the evo3 and "big" 16g one and the same?

I couldn't find it by searching, but RRE seems to indicate that they are the same. However, some people selling them say, for instance, "big 16g but not evo3."

Thanks for the help,

Ren

Last edited:

Polish

Evo3 16g is bigger and better than the standard big 16g.

I believe there is no difference in the actual size of the turbos; the housings and compressor/turbine wheels are the same dimensions. The difference is in the materials. The Evo 3 compressor wheel is better designed, with thinner blades and is made of a lighter Inconel alloy. Also, the housings were made from a lighter-weight alloy as well (this also applied to the turbos fitted standard on the Evo 1 & 2 though).

CP

Say, can we use the present EVO 8/9 turbo as a direct bolt-on? Is that a variable scroll turbo, where the vanes are adjustable?

Polish

No it is not Variable, just a divided housing.

You can not use new Evo turbos as is, they are backwards. People have done it but everything has to be reversed, alternator moved, etc. Intake will point towards the drivers side and exhaust down the passenger side.

Corey's right; trying to fit an Evo 4-9 turbo to our car would be a seriously major job. It has been done, but IMHO it's just not worth the work involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Just call me the Jack Jerk then. My question was somewhat related to this thread, plus he already got his answer.

I guess my real question is: is there a variable vane turbo that could work on our cars, since I see that a bunch of new cars are using them? If not, is it a hardware issue (bolting it on to the stock manifold), or a software issue for the vane control?

My 14b is starting to beg for replacement, and I'm undecided on the EVO3 or some ball bearing turbo that's twice as expensive. Hopefully I can afford either after the wedding, granted there's any gift money left after we settle up our credit card bills and she lets me buy more car parts with our "community funds."

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Heh heh heh, Cy your problems are just beginning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CP

Quote:
Heh heh heh, Cy your problems are just beginning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Alex: no thanks, and bite me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Unfortunately I don't think I'll be joining you at any COM events in the near future. I emailed the Tech guy on the website, and he said I'll need some sort of cage with the StopTechs. Oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CP

Yeah, well, I was hoping you were wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I'm following that "bolt in cage" thread with some interest now.

Quote:
Is there a variable vane turbo that could work on our cars, since I see that a bunch of new cars are using them? If not, is it a hardware issue (bolting it on to the stock manifold), or a software issue for the vane control?

The answer to this is all around no. There may be a few around on new cars, and the old Dodge Shelby Chargers used them too way back in the eighties. The problem is, and has been, that they don't stand up to extreme heat very well. The vanes crack and fall apart. To my knowledge, this is why they aren't used frequently. They may be fine for low boost/ low exhaust temp applications. Beyond that, forget it.

My TDI has one, but normal diesel exhaust temps don't begin to approach that of gassers.

turboren

Do the Evo3's and big 16g's flow tha same amount? Is the Evo3 supposed to be quicker to spool?

Ren

turboren

Thanks, that clears some things up.

Ren

Quote:
My 14b is starting to beg for replacement, and I'm undecided on the EVO3 or some ball bearing turbo that's twice as expensive.

Ben there, done that. And, believe me, the EVO3 16G spooled just as fast. The only difference I could find in the 2 turbos was >25 psi, where the EVO starts falling off.

Quote:
Corey's right; trying to fit an Evo 4-9 turbo to our car would be a seriously major job. It has been done, but IMHO it's just not worth the work involved.

Only one time I could see it being worth it is if you wanted to stick with a 16G and bought the EVO RS 6.5 TME. It has a 33% weight reduction in the shaft. However for all the hassle it's only worth it if you have alot of time/cash and want to be "different."

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts