The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

lots of water in boot

hi there! Ran into a small problem today whilst messing with speaker wiring. I did search but couldn't find much on the topic. I found a small puddle of water in my spare wheel well and also a crap load down both sides. I have a nice half rusted jack apparently. I have drained the water but i have no idea where to look first to fix it. Boot seal looks fine and i checked the taillights which are still stuck on rather well. Anyone had this before or can advise where else to check? any help appreciate, thanks!

Jason G.

I'm having a similar problem, but my center section tail lights aren't fully seated so I assume it's coming from there. I also don't have an antenna, the hole has been covered but it may be coming from there.

Have someone you love, climb in the trunk while you pour water on it. That way they can spot it for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Though your seals look good, they may not be sealing. Clean the maiting surface and use some form of light grease on the seals. With someone in the trunk, no joke, shine a bright light around the edge of the lid, they will see light were it's not sealing. Also as mentioned, check the sealing around your lights. Another culprit could be from your spoiler, leaking around the mounting holes and wiring. If you have a loose or missing body drain plug, this also could be the scourse of a leak. AND!, don't forget to let the person out of the trunk

holeshotmoe

Crawl underneath and you'll see that there are drains in the bottom of both sides...short rubber hoses that extend to the outside. They're probably clogged. If you pull the liner out of the way you'll also notice that the sunroof and the pwr antenna have drain hoses that dump in to the left side. The water in the tire well is probably from condensation - that occurs when the water in the side tanks evaporates in the heat and then condenses on everything in the trunk at night. After awhile it accumulates. Also, full tanks can slosh aroung when you're "rallying" around a corner. The right side probably has a drain for the sunroof too.

FYI, water weighs about 63 pounds a cubic foot so some people may be able to drop a few pounds by cleaning the hoses and draining these water tanks.

Last edited:

thanks for the replys. I did notice those little hoses next to the drain plugs under the car but wasnt sure what they where supposed to do exactly. I was under the impression the boot was meant to be totally sealed but i guess not if stuff needs to drain out of there! haha, i will check those hoses asap as i think thats definitly a problem. Will reseal taillights as well. I haven't checked spoiler yet either. Should i be worried about rust at this point? I have no idea how long it has been there. Well looks like i got plenty to check out. cheers for the great advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts