The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coil on plug advantage

boostx

thats all you need , when i did mine the car idles and rev much smoother.
Mines is for sale , (getting a deal on a GT35r)

my cop setup

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
so, sorry, but just so I am clear: you just need a new ignitior and the plug setup? you don't need to change anything with the the ECU?

Also real quick, so what are the advantages though? Would the setup give a better spark?

boostx

when i did mine i did not get a new ignitior, i just unplug my coil and plug in the the cop setup

JNR

The coils being right on the plug, give you less chance of electrical loss and I would *think* 4 individual coils would work in a stronger (in general), consistent spark than one, splitting into (4), even with our waste spark setup (fires on alternate cylinder, even when not needed; 1-4, 2-3, IIRC).

You only need the coils, a way to mount them and wire them up, per Curtis' diagram (I posted one of his here somewhere) and that's it. The signal travels the same, except it gets 'split' into the pertaining pair of coils, similar to the way the oem did, but with no spark plug wires (now uses a spring instad between coil and plug).

I can say they work great, As a power adder by itself, maybe not so much, but it just gives a better driveability factor that enhances modifications moreso, imo.

Also, you can use the mating connector from a spare coil and add this to your harness for a 'plug and play' solution (I think Iceman sells these?)...I just need to pick up the (Dodge) OEM coil harnesses one of these days (I made my own for now, but want to do it right soon).

ken inn

cop systems keep people like me eating. we sell the crap out of coils. bmw is replacing them like there is no tomorrow. couple of months ago, one dealer up north ordered a whole PALLET of replacement coils. used to be i would sell hi tension wire sets, and a coil now and then. i've already replaced a set on the mazda(174.00 EACH!! kaff, kaff), and they are a sumbitch to get at. of course, AFTER i replace them, i find a complete set on ebay for 20 bucks.
heat is the enemy of the coil. after that, but a close second, is oil contamination. it shorts the coil to ground, which makes it hot, then you got reason #1. in some of the bmw systems, if a couple of coils short out, it can take out the final stage drivers in the dme(ecu), AND the abs control unit. about 3500 bucks. ka-CHING, ka-CHING. they seem to be VERY sensitive to ground problems.

but remember most of us are using intrepid coils and there was a post from a dodge/chrysler mechanic saying how he had only replaced a handful in his whole life as a mechanic, so these ones must not be that bad but i do agree oil is bad for rubber things under your hood

Hertz

Staff member
But also remember that our cars produce much more heat than the ones that the coils came off of.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

i heard this from someone but i don't know if its true or not:

1. you can not set your timing with the COP because there are no spark plug cables to hook the timing gun to.

2. COP might screw the ECU (burn it, fry it, whatever you want to call it).

Quote:
i heard this from someone but i don't know if its true or not:

1. you can not set your timing with the COP because there are no spark plug cables to hook the timing gun to.

2. COP might screw the ECU (burn it, fry it, whatever you want to call it).

Both of those are incorrect.

atc250r

Staff member
1. With a Snap On timing light you can usually lay the pickup on top of the #1 coil and get a signal to set the timing. I heard you can put the negative wire that goes to the coil inside the pickup that the spark plug wire would normally go into and get a signal that way too.

2. The Igniter is in between the ECU and the COP set up so the coils can not damage the ECU. They could probably damage the igniter but not the ECU.

John

The COP coils for most cars are very reliable. Some manufacturers, especially Ford, use crap coils to begin with so they're constantly being replaced.

spooling92vr4

i tried mine in my daily driver after i wired it up.. the car deffinately idled alot smoother etc.. and i think there is a specific thing you can buy from snap on to set ignition timing with a cop.. worst case travel with a coil and some wires when you go to the track

or you can just take out the #1 coil and put a plugwire in between it and the coil to clip onto for a signal no problems with mine yet since i put it in, good luck if you decide to go with it

89coltgt

Great info, I think I may take a visit to the j-yard and look for the coils. Is there any certain year to look for or pretty much any coil off of the newer Chrysler products?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts