The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to check timing belt

I know my timing belt has been changed once already. I am currently at 155,000 miles. when is the next time i have to change it? And is there any method to check how good the current timing belt is? anything specific like marks on the timing belt or teeth. Sorry for the newb question.
Thanks

atc250r

Staff member
There's not really anything to look for and if you see signs of fraying or cracking then it is about too break. The best thing to do is replace it so that you KNOW when it was done and go from there. Its too bad you're not out east, I do them for a few guys around here and I do it for pretty cheap.

John

G

Staff member
Quote:
I know my timing belt has been changed once already. I am currently at 155,000 miles. when is the next time i have to change it? And is there any method to check how good the current timing belt is? anything specific like marks on the timing belt or teeth. Sorry for the newb question.
Thanks

timingbelt5vi.gif

My advice, if you don't have records of when it was last done, change it now. I've seen them go practically right at the 60k mile mark, with no real visible signs of wear. There are also some factors you can't just pull the upper timing cover and see that can easily contribute to t-belt failure (balance shaft belt). I have seen many mechanics that only replace the timing belt.

Do it now, if you can handle a wrench, do it yourself, its really not very hard.

thats true. I can do the work, its just i have to find the place to do it. living in apartments suck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Ive done a head gasket job on a 3.2 V6 Legend before and in case anyone has ever seen one of those its not easy. Im pretty sure the t belt is easier than that. Just got to find the place. Thanks!

ohmegamike

If you really want some piece of mind, replace the water pump, hydraulic tensioner, and all tensioner pulleys for the timing belt and the balance shaft belt. It will cost a bit more to do, but then you KNOW when they were all replaced too. And they will last thru your next 60K mile belt replacement... Instructions are on vfaq.com btw-

Polish

Quote:
thats true. I can do the work, its just i have to find the place to do it. living in apartments suck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Ive done a head gasket job on a 3.2 V6 Legend before and in case anyone has ever seen one of those its not easy. Im pretty sure the t belt is easier than that. Just got to find the place. Thanks!

I used to have a Legend, those are some cramped engine bays. If you can work on one of those then the 4G63 should be no problem for you.

I agree with the above statement, replace it all. Tensioner, Pulleys, Belts, Water pump, and if you can do the BS elimination.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts