The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECU temp sensor replacement.???

I've got a new ecu temp sensor here realy to install with hopes it will run better under boost...

but I don't know where it goes? in the thermostat housing? bottom of the radiator?

and yes I searched... did you know that searching "Temp sensor location" it pulls up pics of chicks... that will sidetrack you.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just took it off and the plugs are different in between the old sensor and the new one... is this normal? both are 2 prong, but the new one has normal male plugs.

the PN on the new one I have is MD069879

There are actually 3 sensors on the housing. Check just below the top one on the lower half of the housing and you should find it there.
Thanks Steve

Muskrat

if it's the ecu temp sensor it'll be the "bottom" one, towards the block.

thanks guys... I knew when I pulled that top one off and I told my friend it was easier then getting gas that something was going to happen.

for any future searchs (haha yea right, like anyone could possably find this through a search)

it is on the bottom of the thermostat housing facing the front of the car... the plug requires a good amount of force, (I used pliers after hitting my head on the hood, which allowed enough force to get it off.)

keywords: thermostat housing coolent sensor tempature

JNR

If you have a portable torch, heat up the thermostat housing a little, to expand the aluminum; it'll help alot in loosening and preventing galling up the threads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Did replacing it help you? I still have boost issues and am looking at all of my options...did you get a check engine light, or ? IIRC, the temp sensor shares the same circuit as the MAS...hmmm..wonder if mine is related...

long story short...

it threw a light, didn't come back for a long time.

it threw it again so I pulled it... -engine temp sensor.

the car stuttered from time to time, and it kept getting worse... I noticed it didn't do it on the freeway... (because it was in open loop.)

one day it wouldn't even start... I posted up about it and someone said it could be from the temp sensor and that sensor controls the fuel map.

so I replaced it, I felt a couple very slight stutters, and it pulled 3 pounds of boost through 1st gear... but I think it is trying to do a relearn still.

tomarrow I'll pull the plugs, and throw in some new ones.

I need to open up the exhaust a little too, the stock 14 year old cat. probably isn't helping.

joec

On my car it was the wiring to the temp sensor that was flaky. Every once in a while it would throw a code 21. Spliced in some fresh wire with spade connectors and it's been fine ever since. Symptoms were occasional CEL 21 and would be tough to start in very cold weather. Also, mine wasn't consistently bad, a datalogger would usually read valid values, just when driving it would occasionally get triggered (maybe slight engine movement during acceleration/braking/turning?).

JNR

Thanks, guys...it does not sound like the symptoms I've been having...ever since I put on an incorrect harness to a 3G MAs, I have been having issues with not making boost...I've gone thru all sorts of other things in the past several months and have improved it bit by bit, but it's still there...I noticed one of the circuits was shared with the temp sensor, so I was thinking, just maybe...however, I do not recall getting any error codes related...

Next stop, exhaust manifold/turbo gaskets!

DR1665

Quoting LT4mula:

it is on the bottom of the thermostat housing facing the front of the car... the plug requires a good amount of force, (I used pliers after hitting my head on the hood, which allowed enough force to get it off.)

keywords: thermostat housing coolent sensor tempature

Search still bringing up plenty of hits for fuel pressure, poor idle, and tuning issues - NOT confirmation of CLT location.

Just bumping to add a little more confidence to future searches. CLT used by ECU to adjust fuel trims is, in fact, located lower front of thermostat housing. Here's a picture for future reference. CLT is the big, fattie closest to the camera with the boot on the connector. Big, dark object in top right of picture is upper radiator hose. Picture taken between upper radiator hose and battery.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned