The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing front drive axels

ls4546

The boots on my 92 Talon TSi AWD are shot. Since im right now installing an act2100 clutch i thought id also repalce the axels. Its difentialy easier said than done. I have the passenger side axel ready to pull, but it just wont budge. On the driver side the boot conecting to the trans axel split so the first half came out eaisy enough but the last half of the boot is stuck on. Any opinions or tips, thanks.

Nick

147/1000

I just pulled mine out the other day, my motor and everything was already out so that made it easier. You should be able to pry them out with a large flat head screw driver, i did and they came out just fine.

ls4546

I tried that and they just wouldnt budge.

Quote:
The boots on my 92 Talon TSi AWD are shot. Since im right now installing an act2100 clutch i thought id also repalce the axels. Its difentialy easier said than done. I have the passenger side axel ready to pull, but it just wont budge. On the driver side the boot conecting to the trans axel split so the first half came out eaisy enough but the last half of the boot is stuck on. Any opinions or tips, thanks.

Nick

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/clutch-1G.html

A properly placed HUGE screwdriver or tire iron WILL pop the axles loose, although it is a big pain. You may find it easier to pull the complete jackshaft and axle out on the driver's side, and pry the two apart when you have it out on the ground, although you will lose some fluid from the trans when you yank it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

147/1000

Like Jeff said you have to have a large prybay/screwdriver..etc and it will be a pain in the ass to get out but it will come out. Also it does make it alot easier if you take out the whole drivers side assembly then separate the jack shaft from the CV axle. just make sure to replace any fluid loss or just drain it and replace it because it probably needs it anyway like most cars.

atc250r

Staff member
I've had a couple passender side axles that you had to have a guy pry from the top while you pry from the bottom.

John

yeah Ive run into this problem before and all i can say is be creative with it, i ended up doing it with a big ass screwdriver and a hammer....it took a lot of persuasion.

Use a large face prybar. Shove it it between the green knuckle and the tranny.

Wiggle it sideways to make more room. Then yank the bar a couple of times in the direction of the tranny and it should pop out.

If not.... Then get a LARGE flathead screwdriver.... place it on the side of the green knuckle. Use a large hammer to whack on the back of the screwdriver to SHOCK the axle and pop it from the tranny.

ls4546

Nevermind. I got them out, I had to borrow a bigass prybar from a friend, but they came out. Now my tranny's on the ground with the flywheel off wating to get resurfaced. Thanks for all your input.

Nick

turbowop

EASIEST way to get the passenger side axle to pop loose is actually pretty simple. When I first started doing this crap with these cars I would pry with a screwdriver while cursing and eventually it would pop loose. I found later on that getting a screwdriver in there but rather than pry just *twist* it. They pop loose so easily with that method that you almost wonder if it's too easy.

joec

+1. I use a large Craftsman screwdriver that has a hex shaped handle. Then I use an adjustable wrench on the handle to rotate it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts