The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hey. New 6G Owner

Finally got registered, my 1989 Galant VR4 landed from Japan a few weeks back after winning the auction back in November.

It's a 1989 Galant VR4 in white, one owner car just hit 100k miles. Lots of refresh work underway, waiting on parts etc. It joins it's younger brother a Lancer Evolution 1RS.

Looking forward to getting stuck in. Loads of questions and loads of reading to do...

mooserage

Staff member
Welcome and congrats on the auction win! You might find replies a little slow these days, but there is lots of good info if you search. Look forward to seeing the progress you make.

lowcashleblanc

Congrats! It’s a beaut. Engine bay and interior shots?

I just took ownership of 231/1000 in Summit White! Couldn’t be happier. She’s going in for a full inspection tomorrow and vin check so I can make it official.

Thanks guys, just finished the Gear stick rebushing and new gearstick gator. Big difference. Next up is Cambelt, waterpump, steering rack refurb, ISC to solve erratic idle, and all the rubber bushings beneath. Then its onto wheels/tyres etc

WHDdxYCl.jpg

kgFECQel.jpg

Even better, its a TWO tone cloth interior /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

8n8uI9Ml.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Is this the correct forum area to keep the progress alive on this car?

So the list of jobs grows, as does the parts list. Viamoto in UK have been awesome in helping with parts. Most of all the rubber bushes,joints etc underneath are ordered. New bushes for the gearstick assembly and that was the first job.

The gear stick was incredibly loose and sloppy, sure enough when removed not one single plastic bush was left in any of the moving parts. Meaning each axis was loose by 2mm. A very fulfilling job this! half an hour to remove the seats and console and thats the biggest job. Having done this already on my Evo everything was similar. Although the Galant felt like it had 40screws compared to the 4 in the Evo!!!

Seats out, also enables a nice big clean everywhere. The forensic removal of previous owners.

GmKVKQIl.jpg

The obligatory coin was found, along with this....would you risk it

FHiySLBl.jpg

The dust and particles from the ground away bushes!

YQ6Uovhl.jpg

Gear stick now feels stiff and solid. Nicely notching into gears as only Japanese cars do!

WHDdxYCl.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly but surely each little job is tackled. I love this stage...spending a few hours in the garage, tunes or podcasts on. One little job at a time.

Deep clean in around the arches, couple of trays to collect the dirt and liquids. Very satisfying.

Also the under bonnet grime was unreal. A proper challenge. You can see in the first picture how I'm doing it one half at a time. To see your progress is a great boost.

YZYtSsAl.jpg

Cleaner arches etc, amazingly all the little plastic arch liners are perfect and intact. Im now on the looking for something 'clear' to seal all these areas I clean.

erEbjYXl.jpg

Engine bay clean, working on left hand side first. Small tub of Bilt Hamber surfex hd. Agitated in with a paintbrush, rinse and repeat.

dityYobl.jpg

Front grill was tired and worn. Remove and refresh..

9aEXIvCl.jpg

VFKHfmal.jpg

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Nice work.

He's in the green part of Ireland. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bobdole

Looking good. Keep sharing the progress.

Quoting VR485:
Looking good. What part of Ireland are you in?

Indeed the green part! Im not too far from Dublin. North East.

Quoting bobdole:
Looking good. Keep sharing the progress.

Hi Charles! Next up is sticker replacement. I have your decals waiting here.

Any tips anyone for removing the old stickers?

VR485

Nice. I have family in county Louth and Cork I visit once a year. I have never seen a 6g vr4 on the island before. Glad to see there is at least one in Ireland.

Wheels updated, 15'' Enkei OZ Racing for a more OEM style look.

Need to drop the height slightly to sit them into the wheel well a bit better. Along with some spacers to the rear.

GGvi91K.jpg

yDBkCDn.jpg

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Much purtier than those 3-spokes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts