The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pressing out poly bushings without damage

yubh8tn

Hey guys, I installed all my poly bushings, but it turns out one of my control arms is bent around where the balljoint goes and I can't get the new bj installed. I bought a new control arm but removing the bushing from the bent one without damaging it(the bushing) seems to be nearly impossible. I don't want to have to buy a new single bushing (if i even can). What can I do?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Do the poly bushings you put in have lips a both ends and the center metal sleeve? Can you remove the metal sleeve first separately first (press it out)? This might give you enough movement to safely press the poly back out.

JNR

If you turn a compressed air can upside down and spray, it comes out extremely cold. Do this liberally onto the poly bushingand this should make it contract enough to help come out easier.

Doing this in conjunction with heating the metal first (to expand) will further help this cause.

mooserage

Staff member
Which bushing on the control arm is it? I think the caster bushing (the big one) is a push on. I successfully removed a good one of these from a damaged arm using a gear puller and a lot of patience. If it is the other bushing (smaller, 3 piece), that is pressed in; gently push out the sleeve towards the smaller "cap end" bushing end. This should push out the smaller bushing end, otherwise remove it once the sleeve is out. Then gently push the remaining large part of the bushing the other way. Any extra grease you can get in there will help to reduce friction of course.

yubh8tn

I did what you said, pressed out the metal sleeve first and then pressed out the poly outside. I rented this kit from advance auto to do it. I chose this kit because of how small the clamp was. I took off the little cylinder piece that goes on the end of the screw and just used the screw to press it out. Then I did the same thing with a 19mm?? socket that went directly onto the poly part of the pushing and pressed it the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts