The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Main / tender Spring Coilover

tektic

I just installed 180mm 8k/6k F/R springs on my fwd 1g with 5mm of preload. I didn’t measure droop percentage. I like that It handles great, but the comfort is not there. I want to add 6k Swift tender Springs to the front . I can’t find any example of someone doing this.

with the 8k (450lbs) spring in tandem the Initial rate would be 192lbs with a 6k spring for the first 72mm before coil bind.

if the corner sprung weight is about 800lbs:
8k spring will depress 45.7mm and the 6k spring will depress 57.14mm
Necessary preload would be approximately 53mm to retain 50mm of droop travel. So after accounting for that I end up with about 15mm of travel as dual rate before going to the full 8k rate again. This is just an estimate and I didn’t measure anything yet. Is this worth the cost and effort? Did I even figure this out right? Would a 7k main spring be a better course of correction? When I get a chance I will make some measurements.

Edit: Measuring droop in front I found 38mm driver side 29mm passenger side. It seems the sprung weight is a little less than 800lbs a corner. It’s about 665lbs DS, 507lbs PS. 731/557 with motion ratio calculated.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned