The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Has it been done before ? 3000GT V6 TT engine in 91 or 92 Galant VR4

BLUELIGHTSBABY

I have a hinkering to pick up a 91 3000gt VR4 TT engine and 5 speed transmission, T case, wiring harness and install into a 92 Galant VR4. Has this been done before?? It's just something diffent to do. I read somewhere on-line, mitsubishi had installed NA V6 engines in the late 80s to 93 galant body style (overseas models), but I can not confirm that. My question would be, would the V6 twin turbo fit into the engine bay? I know the later body style galants have a VR4 model in japan, I wish they would have imported those to the US in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Any knowledge about this subject would be great.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

yubh8tn

I thought the 3000gt VR4's had 6 speeds? I could be mistaken though.

As for the engine, I bet you could make it work but you'd need completely custom fabbed mounts and would have to (most likely) cut up the engine bay. I'd look up basic engine dimensions and see what kind of finaggling you'd have to do to get it to work.

r.i.p. firewall...

BLUELIGHTSBABY

The early 3000 GT VR4s 91 to 94 had the 5 speed manuals. Starting in at least 1996, they went to the 6 speed manuals. I know some motor mounts would have to be re welded, etc. Just trying to get as much info as I can.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting BLUELIGHTSBABY:
I have a hinkering to pick up a 91 3000gt VR4 TT engine and 5 speed transmission, T case, wiring harness and install into a 92 Galant VR4. Has this been done before?? It's just something diffent to do. I read somewhere on-line, mitsubishi had installed NA V6 engines in the late 80s to 93 galant body style (overseas models), but I can not confirm that. My question would be, would the V6 twin turbo fit into the engine bay? I know the later body style galants have a VR4 model in japan, I wish they would have imported those to the US in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Any knowledge about this subject would be great.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

The 5th gen Galants (E11A Chassis, known as the Mitsubishi Sigma stateside) from 88-90 in the US had the 12 valve 6g72, but those cars are vastly different from our 6th gens and no 6th gens had a 6g7x option, 4g63 was the biggest they went anywhere in the world. Then the later VR-4s do not run a 6g72 at all, those are the 6A12 2.0l and 6A13 2.5l V6s an entirely different family of engines with very little aftermarket support.

This thread will give you an idea on fitment, because the 1g DSM chassis was built based off the 6g Galant Chassis. The project was never finished, but you can see how tight of a fitment it is. 1g 6g72tt swap

Can't really say I have ever seen it done, but also for most there is no reason to do that kind of swap when the 63s have a solid aftermarket network supporting them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

The factory Getrag 5/6 speed transmission is just too big to fit with the existing subframe. You could probably fit the V6 but retain a W5M33 5 speed from a factory V6 car, though I don't know what car in the US would exist with such a transmission - in Japan, Europe, Australia and NZ the 3000GT came with the DOHC N/A 6G72 in 4WD with the W5M33, but the N/A 3000GT in the US were all FWD.

gvr4ever

Don't think the Galant VR4 is wide enough. The hardware barely fits in a 3000GT VR4. when I was young and stupid, I thought it would be cool to do a Diamante 3000GT VR4 swap. It probably would fit, but be way too expensive. That was my dream sleeper, like 20+ years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned