The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reaching 350 bhp safely?

Nathan

Hey I'm really thinking of importing a JDM 6th gen gvr4 and the car would be my daily driver. The only thing is i'd like more power out of the car and I know the 4g63t can be pushed to higher power easily but I was wondering if it could reach my goal of about 300-350 bhp while still remaining reliable.
Is that a realistic expectation and if so what would you guys suggest doing to reach it safely?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If you run a non chambered muffler as part of the upgrade which likely will occur, the police in Quebec like to give tickets for that.
Severely lowering the car, same scenario.

That said, what are you prepared to pay for the car itself landed, all in, and then have for upgrades and tuning equipment and the learning curve, plus time to acquire all the small parts.

Nathan

I don't plan on slamming it to the ground but just nice fitment and from what i've seen on this forum people really like the CM exhaust systems for the gvr4 so do you know if the muffler on them is chambered?
And i'd be willing to pay up to around 13k CAD all in for one in good shape I feel like it's realistic but I might be wrong. The budget for upgrades is not really clear because I probably wouldn't do it all instantly but gradually so let's say money wasn't a factor for upgrades i'm just looking to know if it's possible and how. I probably wouldn't do all the work on it but would do everything I feel comfortable doing and was also wondering if I take it to a shop that's popular for EVOs and DSMs will the mechanics feel at home since the engine and stuff is pretty similar? For the time to acquire small parts and learn would be pretty good since I'll go gradually and not all at once, plus I plan on using a canadian import company that offers to source parts from japan for you if you still own the car.

mk2davis

Is there a specific reason you are looking for JDM? I am not well schooled on all the differences.

It sounds like you are familiar with importing cars into Canada, just out of curiosity how much easier would it be to import a USDM?

To answer your questions, a shop that is familiar with EVO's and DSM's in particular should feel right at home with the Galant. This is a very VERY dated upgrade path from Road Race Engineering, but may help click . By many accounts, DSMLink is a good start to your jouney for more power. I have just ordered one myself, and I'm eager to receive it and see what all the noise is about. It's supposed to allow you to see all the parameters the ECU sees, in addition to allowing you to change fuel maps and ignition curves. This allows you to properly tune the car stock, as well as for upgrades.

I'm looking at starting a similar build myself with a goal of 400 at the wheels. I took out a motor that developed rod knock, so i now have the liberty of building this motor slowly (and hopefully relatively inexpensively).

Nathan

I am looking at a JDM import for multiple reasons, they have better looking bumpers and hood IMO, GVR4s are very hard to find here at least from what i've seen and also a JDM car (not always but a lot of the time) has less mileage than a car here because they are used less often due to it being not the most practical way of transportation in their big cities. Japan also has what is called a shaken inspection that requires vehicles about every 2 years to go get inspected to make sure they are well maintained and don't have any illegal mods so cars in general are in better condition then over here where there are no mandatory inspections.

I can't really answer your 2nd question because I haven't looked into it at all but importing cars from japan into Canada is a more simple and cheap process than most people might think. Just make sure to check your province laws about RHD vehicles for example in Canada a car must be at least 15 years old to import but to register a RHD car in QC it needs to be at least 25.

And thanks for the info about mods I'll look into it!

mk2davis

You are right about the hood and bumpers. 398 has been in the family since new, and living in southern California means no rust, so I'm happy with what I got.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Do you know how you want to build your car? I think you are close to being able to build it with a turbo and injectors along with supporting mods (intake, exhaust, tuning, etc.). I keep toying with the idea of a 2.3l with 9.0:1 compression in an effort to reduce lag, but those with experience inform me there are easier ways to go about it.

raptorWagon

The hood you are thinking of is only on the 1990+ facelifted VR4s that were of Evo spec, not all the GVR4s had the vented hood. However, more likely to find a well sorted and clean USDM VR4 for less than what it would cost in the long run for a stock JDM car in all fairness. Also while Japan may have periodic inspections, the cars at auction have to be looked over with a fine tooth comb as it is not uncommon in Japan to just spray an undercoating to cover any rust. They are a Island nation after all and rust is an issue there just as any other cars that sit close to a ocean coast. There are plenty of half baked projects that get exported from there as well though. Basically you need to take everything with a grain of salt when looking at the condition of Japanese spec cars, they aren't 100% in better shape than all other cars and that goes for all the imports that have been coming over to both our countries for years.
There are differences between the 87-89 VR4s and 90-92 VRs as well. Canada never got the GVR4s, so if there are any up there and LHD with a xxxx/xxxx badge, they all came from down here in the US.

Keep in mind these are not anywhere a new car, they are still all 28-33yr old cars, "low mileage" really means nothing, because chances are it needs as much maintenance or more than a higher mileage car that has been getting regular maintenance and component replacement over its lifespan. bushings, gaskets, seals, belts, all wear over time whether from age alone or due to mileage. Having owned several "low mileage" 1970s Mitsubishis, it typically means everything falls apart within a few weeks of actually putting mileage on them as everything has dried out/dryrotted.

Nathan

Thanks for the info about the hood and yeah I know it's an old car and reliability and condition won't be a new honda or anything but I intend on keeping it in good shape and treating it right so I feel like a "low mileage" one might be better than a extremely used one where there's more chance for abuse from the past + the company I intend on working with has guys over in japan that go inspect the car and check it out before you make a move on the auction. I intend on getting a 90-92 if possible.
Thanks for the answers i'll definitely keep active in the forum if I get one but I'll probably wait until the world calms down a little;)

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Any car you get, must have been gone over for the basic routine maintenance - recalls, timing belt, and lots of other little things.

I suggest looking at a US car, but consider the currency exchange is bad right now.

If you are in Quebec, you cannot import a RHD car anymore. Zilch, zip, nada!

UNLESS it is over 25 years old or visiting Quebec or used for mail delivery.

See link - Click

They changed the rules, and only existing RHD cars can stay. It is a provincial run insurance setup.

No such issue in other provinces. Figured I would mention this for anyone looking at bringing a car to Quebec, or the remaining provinces.

Insurance gets weird on RHD cars, and most get insurance out west but drive here in the eastern provinces - yup, weird but fitting.

Consider you cannot see when passing, your headlamps are improperly aimed by design and everything in the car is complete opposite.

I never suggest RHD when you have an entire country next door with LHD options.

Hell, you could import a 4wd Galant from any Euro country that is LHD, and convert to a turbo motor setup and it may not even be burdened with 4WS and active toe adjustment ....

Anywho, some food for thought.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts