The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine rebuild tips

yubh8tn

Hey, I'm beginning the process of tearing the engine down and rebuilding it. I already have it out and on a stand and partially disassembled, but before I attempt to get it all machined and put back together, is there anything in specific I should know?

I read something somewhere about certain oil pan bolts that are shorter, and if you use the longer ones in their holes you can tear up your timing belt. Is there anything else that I should know similar to that?

Any tips in general?

gvr4ever

The short oil pan bolts are under the timing belt. I labeled them. It was kind of obvious, but I marked them just in case.

I haven't done a hole engine build yet. Just the head and I redid the oil pan gasket. Just label everything. A picture documentation tear down would be helpful too. Tag and bag. Tag and bag.

CutlassJim

Quoting yubh8tn:
Hey, I'm beginning the process of tearing the engine down and rebuilding it. I already have it out and on a stand and partially disassembled, but before I attempt to get it all machined and put back together, is there anything in specific I should know?

I read something somewhere about certain oil pan bolts that are shorter, and if you use the longer ones in their holes you can tear up your timing belt. Is there anything else that I should know similar to that?

Any tips in general?

The entire series from Jafromobile on Youtube. You're welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Couple of the front case and timing tensioner bolts open into oil galleys. I use sealant and thread locker on all.

As noted Jafro's stuff or any DSM 1g 6-bolt instruction.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts