The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New transfer case seal is still leaking

Just replaced my tail seal with a new OEM one about 5 minutes ago and filled the transfer case up with fluid. I turned the input to see how it felt and fluid just started drooling out of the tail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Not sure what to do about it, I slowly hammered it in using some soft wood and it seems to be bottomed out. Any ideas? Thanks

thomcasey

Did you put the driveshaft in? It will leak without the driveshaft

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Can you clearly see the leakage point is between the seal lip and the drive shaft itself? You mention a new seal, but are you sure there was no inside lip damage after you tapped it in?

Lastly, it may not need to be put in until it bottoms out. Sometimes a groove is worn in the shaft allowing leakage by the seal and the seal may need to be put in either a little more or less to make sure the new seal lip is NOT aligned with any wear groove.

I am presuming you have the new sealed (recall) yoke design and it is not leaking from there.

Last edited:
Yeah the driveshaft isn't in it haha, I'm an idiot. Just waiting for my parts to come in, I bought new carrier bearings, u joints, Lobro Boot kit, and the revised yoke. Should I just fill the t case while it's in the car then? It seemed easier to do while it was out that's all.

mooserage

Staff member
Learning is what its all about. You'll really need to fill it on the car to make sure it has the right amount of fluid. I suggest getting a decent fluid pump to reduce frustration in filling it. Similar to the transmission, you will fill it to the point that it is level with the fill plug, but you don't want to overfill it either.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts