The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust leak driving me nuts!

mk2davis

Short version:

It appears that I have an exhaust leak from my manifold to turbo gasket, probably due to my use of nonstock bolts. I know I need 4 MD132656 M10x80 bolts ($10/ each from STM). Is it correct that I need 8 MR187848 conical lock washers (3.50/each), and I ASSUME the open end of the washer faces the mating surface of the bolt flange and manifold? Bolt flange )( manifold ?

Long version:

I was running a 2G manifold with a small 16G turbo with ARP bolts when I got a significant exhaust leak. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from exactly, so I replaced the gaskets from the manifold to the exhaust down tube, in addition to a Dorman manifold. I know Dorman's are less than desirable, but my 2G EM had some stress cracks, and I was planning on replacing the Dorman with a Evo3 manifold once I find one. I have this posted in WTB, and while I have some offers for another 2G EM, I still have hopes that someone will have an Evo3 they are willing to part with.

One ARP bolt snapped when taking it off, and it was a real pain in the A. I got that out, and the surgery worked for a while. Say a month and half? But now my leak is back. I'm using a plastic tube, and I hear the most noise when it's parallel under the EM in between the O2 sensor and the manifold turbo joint facing said joint. I can't get water under there to see bubbles, but I'm confident my leak is from that joint.

I don't want to this AGAIN without the E3 EM, so I'm trying to do this right this time. Anything else I need to be aware of in addition to the above questions under Short Version?

tektic

Copper anti seize helps. If your using steal shim gaskets its usually pretty obvious where the exhaust is leaking. It will be black and covered with carbon, or perforated. Get your self a FP manifold. Better than the evo 3 and much easier to obtain.

The small end of the cone washer faces the bolt head. Its a lock washer.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting mk2davis:
Is it correct that I need 8 MR187848 conical lock washers (3.50/each), and I ASSUME the open end of the washer faces the mating surface of the bolt flange and manifold? Bolt flange )( manifold ?

I believe the washers are installed the reverse of your image, with concave sides facing each other. I can double-check this if no one beats me to it. Reason is to keep a tension force on the bolt because of the great heat expansion and contraction properties.

mk2davis

Thanks Iceman. I ordered the FP manifold and that should be coming in soon. My logic with flange bolt )( manifold is that the bolt has a flange, so I thought the flange on the bolt would be for the OD of the washer. I'm more than happy to be wrong, as long as it's right. If you could pop the hood and take a look, I'd appreciate it!

mk2davis

The source of my exhaust leak....

This was a Dorman manifold after 1.5 months...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts