The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear bumper support mod?

tektic

I've seen the aluminum mod, but what have people done to trim down some weight from the stock steel junk? I'm not sure how to attack it. It seems feasible to loose 20lbs and not risk loosing rigidity and support and safety. Please post pictures if you have them. I have my cut off wheel idling!

tektic

Well then. I guess I'll just put it back on.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

thomcasey

For most people, they lose the weight gradually from rust. I suppose you could cut in the middle in order to leave the mount pints and upp/lower support. But if it starts to corrode, it will be a fast trip to nothing.

CutlassJim

The only time I've ever taken a rear bumper off is to put a JDM one on which has almost no support whatsoever and weighs like 10 lbs.

Cut it until you don't feel comfortable anymore? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

tektic

So... Waste of time. Kind of.

I cut the part that hangs down above the tail pipe off and these two blocks. It turns out the inside was all rotten so I'm coating it with rust bullet after treating it with acid. So its 6-8 lbs lighter and hopefully won't continue to rust. I could of kept cutting I suppose, but it was taking too long.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts