The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Legnum Super VR-4 electrical issues

Knightmayre

I have a 97 Legnum Super VR-4 with some issues that I need some assistance with.

Issues started when a new head unit was installed and my auto oil temp (Defi) failed, but would work when the lights were on.
She also had a Billion VFC-MAX Water temp & fan controller.
While I was working out the issue with the Defi the Billion gauge spat out all of its magic smoke.
There is a Yellow wire on the Billion which is an Earth, not a 12v supply.

Now things went from bad to worse, extremely difficult to start 1st thing and the electric fans kick in on high instantly.
Once she has warmed up a little then things are fine (ish). Turbo timer doesn't work anymore either.

When it went on the scan tool, the coolant temp sender is showing up as -59°C which to me means it's open circuit.

Help #1: Where on earth did Mitsubishi hide the ECU - I thought it was on the passenger side footwell (Mine is a RHD JDM version) but couldn't find it. I did search the forums.
I need to find Connector 4, pin 13.

Help #2: Where is the coolant sensor located? I did find this lonely sensor but cannot find a connector to go on it....

Help #3: I'll also need to know how the fans are wired up - am used to Sender -> ECU -> Fans.

Basically I just want to rip all the Billion wiring out and get the fans back to normal.

Finally, once the car has started, in 50 seconds the CEL and TCL idiot lights come up simultaneously.
Pulled the codes with a safety pin gave me :

I jumpered pins 1 and 4 and this is what I got:

<font color="red">
TCL:...

12 FL wheel speed sensors (or a short break)

13 RR wheel speed sensors (or a short break)

21 FR wheel speed sensor system

CEL:...

12 Air Flow Sensor System

13 Inlet temperature Sensor System

21 Temperature Sensor System
<!--color--></font>

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Welllll, not the right VR4 to get expert help on the particulars here, but I think it is a good idea to remove the extra wiring first. You need to get yourself a wiring diagram for the car.

Last question- is the battery fully charged? Low voltage can make sensors do weird things.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts