The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS lower bolt access

PJGross

Anyone have a trick tool to access the lower TPS bolt/machine screw without removing the fuel rail?

I'm pretty sure 12 years ago I rigged something up to loosen this one even though I obviously didn't adjust it properly since I'm seeing .60V at idle instead of .63V

I was thinking of cutting off a phillips bit and grabbing it with a needle nose vice grips?

I tried a set of craftsman right angle "distributor" wrenches, but the 8mm is too awkward to get a bite.

Of course I can remove the fuel rail but that's sort of a pain. I'm sure there is a trick to it.

Thanks,
PJ

thomcasey

I replaced mine with hex heads. Makes it easy to loosen and tighten with the rail in place.

PJGross

Stock are hex heads (8mm) with philips or JIS (I don't remember which)in the center.

So my question is how to you get anything on your hex head? A standard 1/4" socket has no room for a rachet once on. It barely clears the fuel rail on and off without a rachet. Maybe I'll just grab the socket with a long nosed vise grip.

Guess that's my answer. Could tear up the socket but at least it will be loose.

My 8mm gear wrench interferes with the TPS or that would have been great.

I think if there was an 8mm 1/4" drive crow's foot then maybe that would work, but it's a pain in the butt for fat fingers down there.

Thanks,
PJ

I think the tool I used last time was a really old gearwrench type rachet that accepted short stuby Philips bits in it. That thing is long gone now.

fuel

I just remove the whole throttle body and set the TPS and throttle stop on the bench.

thomcasey

I mean Hex heads, that use allen wrenches. Hex is the internal, not external

JNR

Use an ignition wrench...those small combination wrenches, in meyric version of course.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I installed hex socket head bolts in those tps spots. Then use a long set of extended ball socket hex bits to access the bolts from just above the rocker cover.

Like these:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts