The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb question: fuel pump test connector location/ pic

PJGross

Well, my GVR 4 is nearly ready to fire.
Oil primed, etc.
Drained tank, filled with 5 gal premium.

Figured I would try firing on old gas in line: nope.

I disconnected the AN fitting at fuel rail and it is dry.
I cranked a few times and nothing.
I will swap the fuel filter but wanted to make sure the pump is actually running first?

Can someone explain which is the test plug or post a pic, please?
Thanks,
PJ

transparentdsm

It's on the fire wall by/behind the brake fluid res., I don't /can't get a picture as im not near a vr4 right now.

When you try to start the car do you hear the MPI click? It's a large gold box under the glove box by your ECU, it controls the fuel pump activation.

PJGross

I will go listen again. Been so long I forgot what that is. (EDIT: Yes, it clicks just after the starter engages. I think that's right.)

However, with the harness unclipped, I'm pretty sure 12V + to black and white and negative to black is whats necessary to run the pump, and the pump is locked up.

I have a Walbro CSS341 NIB sitting here so might as well upgrade from the 190 that was in it.

I had to order a new filter sock though because mine was MIA.

I loosened all the little screws carefully after lots of PB Blaster. However, the main fuel line fitting wont budge.

My neighbor has a MAP gas can so will hit it with that tomorrow.... but not really happy hitting a fitting connected to a gas tank with heat.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
PJ

Last edited:

PJGross

I had vice grips on one, I will crank down on both of them and loosen without heat. I will give the pbblaster some more time too

PJGross

I put my 14mm flare on, vice grips over it to keep it from spinning, then 3 ft long cheater bars on each side. A little tweak and it was free. Thanks for the input!

Now, do I need to get a new gasket for the fuel pump assembly since it hasn't been apart in 20 years?

-PJ

PJGross

Never mind, ordered new gasket for piece of mind. With my luck it would have never gone back on correctly and I'd end up waiting on a new one anyway....

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts